Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Best way to start streaming Blu-rays?

by twpetry / May 30, 2012 2:44 AM PDT

I am having some trouble trying to start storing and streaming my Blu-ray collection. I have a home server that I would like to store a copy of all my (legally purchased) movies on and be able to stream them to anywhere over the internet, but also to my PS3. I want to be able to watch my movies on Windows Media Player, since it will already be found on most machines. If I am away from home and want to stream to a different computer I don't want to have to install other software, such as VLC Player even though it may be better.

My head is spinning from all the different software for ripping, encoding, etc. and the various video and audio formats. I have been using DVDFab 8 but I'm not overly impressed with it. I would like to know what software I should use to rip and encode, and which file format to use that will work for both Windows Media Player and PS3?

Here are my specs:

Laptop: (Used for the ripping and encoding)

Toshiba Satellite P750D-BT4N22
Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD A8-3250M (Quad-core 1.6GHz)
Radeon 6620G (integrated)
8GB DDR3 1333MHz
Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid

Server: (Used to store and stream)

HP xw4600
Windows Home Server 2011
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 (Dual-core 2.53GHz)
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290
4GB DDR2 800MHz

PS3 Slim 160GB

Help is greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to start streaming Blu-rays?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to start streaming Blu-rays?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Streaming over the internet?
by ahtoi / June 2, 2012 1:12 AM PDT

My take on that would be..no. But if you could do it, I don't think we want to hear about it, hehe.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Home Server
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 2, 2012 1:22 AM PDT

Does a Home Server function as a Web Server also? Did you try that already with one of the DVD's you already ripped?

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?