Computer Help forum

General discussion

Best way to re-add wireless to my laptop?

by Maokun / April 2, 2009 12:01 PM PDT

Hello. I got a HP laptop of the series dv6000. For the ones of you that don't know (as I, which had to learn the hard way when it happened to me last week) this series and a couple other have a factory defect that causes the computer not to recognize the wireless anymore. Wireless capability doesn't appear in the device manager or in the bios, and the led light won't turn blue. Inexplicably, after some reboots, the light will turn blue and wireless will work without a hitch, though the device manager still wouldnt acknowledge it. The catch is that every time it happens it takes more reboots to work (last time I spent a whole afternoon rebooting, so I'm sure that next time it simply won't come back, so I'm keeping my laptop ON until I find a solution).

HP has an extended warrant program to fix these laptops but I think it doesn't cover me because my laptop is refurbished and I'm not even in the same country i bought it. Also, I can't afford the month or so they take to send it back without a computer, so I have to take this issue on my hands. Sending the laptop to a "specialized" repair store is not an option, either. I'm in a budget and I don't particularly relish the idea of strangers snooping into my personal files as I know they do.

I believe the solution is either to replace the internal wireless adaptor or to get an external USB one. For what I've researched, the former is preferible, but I'm not sure how hard would it be to do it myself (I've opened and rebuilt desktops before, but never a laptop) and I'm not sure that replacing the card will fix the problem if the issue is caused by other part of the laptop. What would your advice be guys? Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to re-add wireless to my laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to re-add wireless to my laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BTDT.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 10:36 PM PDT

Let me be short here. We have a very long discussion in some other forum about the internal wifi card failures. I don't want a repeat so let me skip to the solution I use.

1. Those USB wifi things. (my second choice.)
2. PC-Card wifi cards. (my first choice.)

This way I avoid all the costs and here in the USA I can get the USB thing for under 20 and the PC-Card in the 20ish range. I can't count how many discover more expensive ways to deal with this.
Bob

Collapse -
A bit more info?
by Maokun / April 3, 2009 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: BTDT.

Yeah, just as I thought, now could you help me with some pointers for the installation of said card? Also, could you point me towards that thread you mention? It sounds relevant to my interests. Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
Let me be clear about installation.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: A bit more info?

And I apologize if it sounds terse but I do nothing but follow the install instructions that come with the card or stick.

Here's the LONG discussion. I want to keep it short as the issue is a well known one and to each their own. Some want to argue with me about "who's at fault" while all I want to do is help those find a 20 buck solution.

Again, this is all your choice to make here. Some demand the internal card be fixed. All I ask is you take the free advice and decide what you want.

Read more at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=298008&tag=forum-w;forums06

Tell me if you are in the USA and I'll see what is currently out there for cheap.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Maokun / April 3, 2009 12:05 PM PDT

Thanks for your help, Bob. I was asking about the installation because I feel a bit apalled at the thought of opening up my laptop, but by your answer, I gather it is a simple and straightforward process. I live in Australia, but I'm sure I'll find a good deal. Any last advice for a good quality choice of brand amongst the unexpensive range? Thanks again.

Collapse -
I've used many.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

And I no longer open up the laptop to replace the internal card. We did a dozen and all failed again later. You can read the LONGER discussion and glean what you can there. Since the office has to stand behind the work we ate the losses and moved to what works. We can't chance it.

In that other discussion you'll find a few models but these come and go over time. By far the most common model we used was the WPNT511 which around here was under 20.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm out of luck
by Maokun / April 3, 2009 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: I've used many.

Reading that thread I found that the HP dv6000 series has no PCMCI port. I guess I'll have to stick to an USB external dongle... how inconvenient.

Collapse -
I am typing on a dv6910us which has...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm out of luck
Collapse -
I got a dv6448se
by Maokun / April 3, 2009 3:59 PM PDT

Im not sure how said port would look like. Could it be the one labeled "expansion port 3"?

Collapse -
Yours has the same slot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2009 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: I got a dv6448se
Collapse -
Oh I didn't know
by Maokun / April 4, 2009 1:52 AM PDT

I never imagined that slot for the silly remote had another function haha. Thanks a lot.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.