Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Best way to fix Virtual Memory errors?

by michhala / June 21, 2009 10:19 AM PDT

My computer will be 7 years old in November. I am hanging in with it because I am planning on buying a new computer when Windows 7 is released in October or when its SP1 is released.

That said, recently I began to receive Virtual Memory errors when on Facebook or any website too long. Adding RDRAM is expensive, particularly since I am hoping to buy another machine in the not too distant future.

There are choices for a fix, but I am not sure which one to choose and prefer not to experiment:

1. Scott Arnault (PC Mag) advises going into the System Properties? Virtual Memory panel and selecting the System Managed Size option if it is not already selected (mine is NOT selected) and then clicking OK, OK, OK.

2. Others advise going to the Virtual Memory panel and changing Initial Size and Maximum Size to 2.5 times the amount of RAD (512 MB) = 1281 MB RAM for Initial Size and 1281 MB for Maximum Size.

Current Virtual Memory Panel:
Custom Size: Initial Size 768 MB ? Maximum Size 1536 MB
Total Paging File All Drives: Minimum allowed 2 MB ? Recommended 765 MB ? Currently Allocated 1109 MB
74 GB HD - 59.2 GB Free Space (available 61755 MB)

My Thanks???.Miki

Windows XP Home SP2, IE6
Dell 8250 Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB HD
NIS 2008

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best way to fix Virtual Memory errors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best way to fix Virtual Memory errors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Addendum to my OP
by michhala / June 21, 2009 10:28 AM PDT

Methinks that because I do not have the System Managed Size option selected in the Virtual Memory panel, Windows is unable to adjust the size to fit the need........miki

Collapse -
That Sounds Right To Me, Miki!
by tobeach / June 21, 2009 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Addendum to my OP

I don't know much on this (or any other! LOL!) but selecting the
"let Windows manage" can't hurt & may help. Assuming (;-(!) that
there is adequate space btw. RAM & HD free for the file swapping to function. I'd try it & can always change back if no help.
Good Luck! Sandy Happy

Collapse -
I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 21, 2009 8:40 PM PDT

In these cases I would always let Windows manage the settings.

Then it can't complain about 'low virtual memory'!

Mark

Collapse -
Agree to agree . . .
by Coryphaeus / June 21, 2009 9:56 PM PDT

Since you are a little light on RAM, let Windows manage the settings. I've seen a hundred posts here when people try to manage the swap/page file themselves.

Collapse -
Sandy, Mark, Coryphaeus
by michhala / June 22, 2009 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Agree to agree . . .

Thank you all for your replies -- they reinforced my confidence to take some action.

Miki

Collapse -
Correction
by michhala / June 22, 2009 9:03 AM PDT

In Paragraph #2, I wrote "changing Initial Size and Maximum Size to 2.5 times the amount of RAM" -- the correct figure is 1.5, not 2.5.

Miki

Collapse -
That figure is "dated".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2009 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction

For example I have 3GB of RAM and can't set it to 1.5 times that. That number is from a dated article. Let's try the "let Windows manage" setting for today's machines.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Will do, Bob.....thank you.
by michhala / June 22, 2009 12:01 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.