General discussion

Best way to error-free mass copy my promotional DVD?

Hello,

I have a non-copyrighted promotional DVD that every so often I need to mass copy (50 -100) for sales tools.

I have used Nero Burning ROM (6.6.0.18 Sony Edition) in the past, in batches of (25) or so. There were customer-reported error problems on some of the last batch, so I switched to a better medium, Ritek Ridata which are approved at 12X for the Sony DRU-710A drive.

This time, I tried checking the "verify data after write" box, and got a massive 30-40% failure to verify. Some "failed to verify" discs were perfect when viewed on a set-top box, others had problems, but this method of checking all the discs manually can get expensive and time-consuming.

Anybody have any other ideas? I have the DVD as a VIDEO_TS file on my C: drive and a hard "original" on DVD. I own virtually every burning app out there. Except the one in your answer, of course. I am looking for the most error-free mass copying solution, something with error checking or such?

The firmware on the drive is the latest as is the Nero version. Thanks all.

Tony

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Best way to error-free mass copy my promotional DVD?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best way to error-free mass copy my promotional DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A few ideas.

1. Since I run into set top players that only play DVD+R , others that play DVD-R and a few (Samsung DV8500) that will have nothing to do with recorded media at all, you need to consider getting a pressed DVD. Google it up about such.

2. If it's short, try SVCD. Even the noted unit that balked at every conceivable type of recorded DVD (ISO-1, +R, -R, -RAM, etc) seems to play this older standard.

3. Run the final copy through DVDSHRINK and record at no higher than 1/2 the rated media or drive recording speed whichever is lower.

Best of luck,

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob, but...

...DVDShrink has no "verify" feature, and I need to go through the options setup for every disc. I have had some wiggy copies made with that app too, of other material.

I do have a "pressed" disc (the original), but the expense of pressing small lots of 50-100 is prohibitive as i want to give them away freely.

I'll try Veritas' RecordNow next.

- Collapse -
You may have missed why I noted...

DVDShrink. Maybe I was too subtle. DVDSHRINK can correct minor errors in menus and more. Then I can put it to some .ISO file for easy disk creation which you will find has verify options.

At a recent Microsoft seminar, they ran out of pressed DVDs. Overnight they had more made. It seems that technology is now cheap and ondemand. My contact claims its cheaper than recordable media.

Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gotcha! Thanks Bob...
- Collapse -
Can you clear up the "put it to .ISO"

I understand this is a CD format but could you be more specific on how I get there w/ DVDShrink? Thanks Bob

Tony

- Collapse -
I don't limit myself.

I might use something else to make the .ISO but DVDSHRINK does a fine job of correcting minor menu and encoding flaws. After I have my good image, I can use other tools to place the .ISO on the hard disk for use with the recording software.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Bob. Is this a setting in DVDShrink...

...that I'm missing? Something like "Save compilation to .ISO file" or the like? I'm not in front of the DVD-burning PC right now. Then you would use that .ISO to make the copies w/ Nero or whatever, but don't I need VIDEO_TS files for a DVD player to read, or are you still pushing the SVCD format? I'm sooooo confused...

It seems to me that this should be an easy procedure, I just want to verify each copy after writing the DVD. I was getting a lot of verify failures w/ Nero.

Tony

- Collapse -
Actually I'm pretty agnostic about this.

I have to be since it seems like no 2 machines at the office have the same software. For .ISO creation I do like Alcohol 120%.

I don't have your issues at the office, but we are pretty persnickty about pests, and proper cooling of the machines and drives.

I'm sorry if I didn't note or am repeating that keeping that DVD drive cool is part of what we think helps. Then again, we're fitting monster 680Watt power supplies all over as we upgrade.

Bob

- Collapse -
Best way to error-free mass copy my promotional DVD?
- Collapse -
I already own a Sony DirectDVD stand-alone recorder,...

...DRU-710A, and latest Plextor DVD burner. No way does 4 Grand pay off for doing small-batch stuff like mine. I just want to be able to make reliable mass recordings using the hardware I already own. Seems Nero & DVDShrink all produce a clam now & then. I'm giving Veritas' RecordNow a shot. Roxio already flunked out long ago.

- Collapse -
Ok go back and look

Middle of page6 on the left hand side Quicisc DVD copier, list for $499, gussing it would cost abot $380. John

- Collapse -
If it printed and applied labels...

...I maybe could get the boss to go for it, but with that big a front end it will be years to see any benefit...right now I'm wasting abot $5 worth of DVDs per 50.

- Collapse -
I've used those.

They are no better than a PC/Mac when it comes to making DVDs.

-> I did neglect on bit of magic in my brew. I have the machine with the 680Watt PSU and a nice cool case.

Bob

- Collapse -
Over at ..

geeks.com is the dvd copy unit with no drives and it's under 99 bucks.

- Collapse -
If it printed and applied labels...

Well there is the Primira, burns and prints directly on the the DVD will do 25 at a crack unatended, but it's around $2000. John

CNET Forums

Forum Info