PC Hardware forum

General discussion

best video card for under $50

by eddie2468 / August 22, 2006 7:05 AM PDT

I need a video card for my pc so i can run games such as starwars galaxies with out having to put all graphice to the absolute minumum and still lag a little. I dont want to spend more than $50, even if i have to go shopping on ebay and or get refurbished gpu.

I could just look for a card in the price range but would hate to end up with something that wont work with my computer.

I would love to get something with 256mb onboard ram or close to that.

my pc info is as follows...
model.....Compaq presario sr1403wm
cpu.......AMD sempron 3000+ 1.81 ghz
system.....windows xp home edition 02' service pack2
DDR PC 3200 unbuffered 184pin
and i have about 55gigs free hard disc space.

if some one here could tell me what cards would be compatable with my system that are not too expensive that would be awsome,then i could start shopping.
Thank you very much to anyone that can help me out on this,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best video card for under $50
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best video card for under $50
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What country?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

That's about 50 bucks short of great cards, but if you are in the US, try newegg.com and use their search to nail down what you can get for exactly that amount.

Also, check if there is an AGP card slot in that machine.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ok thanks. and it usa
by eddie2468 / August 22, 2006 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: What country?
Collapse -
more info
by eddie2468 / August 22, 2006 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: What country?

as far as price i will shop arround, seems like I can get a good deal on ebay, I guess my main problem is i dont know how to tell if a card is compatable with my pc or not. what should i be looking for in the cards stats that would tell me if it will work or not.
My computer does have a AGP slot and is listed in the computers info as ...1 AGP 8x,
not sure what the 8 means.
all i really need is to be able to know if i can use a specific card or not. i will post the rest of my motherboards info below if that helps, thanks.

Form factor Micro-ATX form factor: 9.6 in x 9.6 in
System BIOS Supplier Award
Processor AMD Athlon 64 processor with HyperTransport support
Processor socket type Socket 754
Processor front side bus frequency 1600 MT/s @ 800 MHz
Maximum approved processor Athlon64 3700+
AMD Athlon64 3400+

Chipset "North Bridge" SiS760
Chipset "South Bridge" SiS964
Memory type PC 2700 or PC 3200 DDR
Memory sockets 2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM
Maximum Memory 2.0 GB
Graphics None
Graphics configuration Up
>>>>>>Graphics connector (AGP) 1 AGP 8x<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Audio Integrated AC97
AC'97 CODEC Device Realtek ALC658C 6-channel CODEC
Audio Jacks ( Legend below ) 2M (1F+1B), 2LI (1F+1B), LO, Headphone connector
Ethernet 10/100 LAN supplier Realtek

Collapse -
Outside of power concerns, cooling that means...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2006 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

Just about any AGP card will work.

Collapse -
video card-cheap under $50
by vredeling / August 22, 2006 11:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: video card-cheap under $50
by ramarc / August 22, 2006 12:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
forgot one
by ramarc / August 22, 2006 12:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
video card cheap
by zookeeper820 / August 25, 2006 12:01 PM PDT

you paid more than the newegg price

price 49.99 + shipping 5.64 = 55.63

your price 44 + 18 = 62.00

just buy from newegg they always has the lowest price, fast shipping and excellence service.

using shopping sites will only confirm this and u can't beat the reviews.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You guys are awsome thanks for the information.!
by eddie2468 / August 22, 2006 4:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
by eddie2468 / August 24, 2006 3:00 PM PDT

I found a card i think will work for me at this time, i found a new card on ebay for $44 + $18 shipping and handeling. i tried to get others for cheaper but kept getting outbid at last minute, so went for a buy it now option.
the card i went for is a ...Apollo 256MB Geforce FX5200......

later when i have more disposable money i would like to build a computer capable of running games like the new Battlefield 2142 with graphics set high and run smoothly. I have the parts i want picked out, now i just need 6 grand to build the dream machine.
Thanks for the help guys

Collapse -
In the future
by BobLap / August 24, 2006 10:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Update...

In the future your first stop should be www.pricewatch.com they are a clearing house for computer parts vendors all across the country. They list computer prices including shipping and no bidding is involved.

Collapse -
by eddie2468 / August 25, 2006 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: In the future

thanks, i will add that site to my bookmarks for the future, when i save up enough cash i plan on building a high end game machine, every doller saved helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?