Laptops forum

General discussion

Best value gaming laptop

I've been shopping around for a good quality laptop for gaming, but Im having trouble choosing. As near as I can tell, HP offers the best value, but Alienware came close... Could someone help me find the best value?

My required specs are:
at least a 2.0 Ghz proccessor
at least 1GB RAM
good graphics accelerator
At least 100GB HD
Internal wireless networking

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best value gaming laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best value gaming laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
take a look at

In reply to: Best value gaming laptop

the dell xps m170/9300. Prices should really nosedive now that dual core is out.

Collapse -
take a look at...

In reply to: take a look at

acer aspire 5670, 4+ hours of battery life, as good graphics as x800, 2.0 ghz dual core processor, 6.6 lbs, choice of 1-2 gig of memory, 100-120 gig of hard drive. wxga crystal brite screen(the only not that good thing), windows xp home/pro.
Ranging from about 1200 for the 1 gb one and 1500 for the 2 gb one!

Collapse -
For really on the cheap...

In reply to: take a look at...

Surprisingly, I think that Toshiba has some notebooks with a gpu instead of gma900. You can probably configure one for about $1500, which I would consider to be a good deal.

Collapse -
No toshiba

In reply to: For really on the cheap...

Sorry, but I'm never getting a Toshiba again. I had one of their Satellite notebooks a bit ago, but it had a defective LCD screen. It was still under warranty, but Toshiba tried to make it sound like the LCD wasn't. The RI Atty. General had to go after them to fix it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) the acer has x1400!

In reply to: No toshiba

Collapse -
defective lcd and over heating in toshiba

In reply to: No toshiba

I too am facing a defectve lcd display and over heating issues from my toshiba m55. I m on intl trip and hav no service center near by. I repent exchanging a compaq with amd for this. The graphics card is not great either.

Collapse -
What about HP & Compaq?

I've been looking for the same thing... any word about HP's and Compaq's?

The only game that I play is Sims 2 and I've been told that I'm gonna need a pretty good graphics card.

Collapse -
Re: What about HP & Compaq?

In reply to: What about HP & Compaq?

HP had a good price for the hardware, but i heard their tech support was the worst. Compaq is an HP company, AFAIK, so i'd assume the same.

Collapse -
compaq

In reply to: Re: What about HP & Compaq?

try the compaq v2000, one of the most underrated notebooks ever. It's customizable and very cheap and the Radeon Xpress x200 isn't a bad gpu either. My friend has no problems playing high-end games like fear on it.

Collapse -
Or...

You may also want to look at the (here we go again...) v4000T. It has a x700 which is about as good as it's name suggests when compared to the x200.

Collapse -
I have a HP Dv4000 with the X700 card, I ordered it in late

September, the first day it was available. The machine runs Doom 3, Halo, Call of Duty, Need For Speed with no problems at all. I'm very happy with my Dv4000 and only paid about $1200 for it. This is the first HP that I've bought(although we had them where I used to work and supported them internally) so my experience with HP tech support is limited but I've been competely satisfied with HP support so far... and I called them a number of times when I first got the machine. No waiting to reach a rep, good consultation and in 2 cases a follow up call to survey my satisfaction with the service. This was a hugh surpirse because of poison I'd read here and on other forums about HP support and, much more importantly, poor consumer satisfation numbers in formal polls. Either I'm very lucky or HP is cleaning up it's act on the support front.

Collapse -
for Sims 2...

In reply to: What about HP & Compaq?

Seeing as how all you want to run is Sims 2 then I'd go with a Presario V2000. That's what I have and I have EVERY expansion pack PLUS tons of custom content on it and it still runs fine, even with about 300 hours of music as well. Happy

Collapse -
Go 4 an alienware

get a alienware area 51 5500 im not checkin the price 4 u though.

www.alienware.ca or .com if ur american

Collapse -
i would say

the Commodore 64 computer would be the best gameing pc.hahahaha just jokeing Mabmoro
take a look at the dell 9300 also the Acer. two great notebooks with great warrenty and reviews.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.