TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best time to buy a new television

by enigma7837 / August 16, 2006 3:21 AM PDT

Hello everyone.

I am looking to purchase a new 50-60" plasma television, and while I would like to purchase the TV as soon as possible, I am wondering if there is a better time of year to make this purchase. For instance; when do the years new models of televisions come out and would it be best to wait untill such a time? Also, are the new crop TV's going to be significantly better than their previous counterparts? Finally, does anyone have any reccomendations for the best 50-60" plasma on the market (or comming to the market soon)? I know I've posed a lot of questions, but if anyone can provide answers to any of them I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Justin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best time to buy a new television
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best time to buy a new television
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Best time to buy a new television
by omalleycm / August 16, 2006 3:53 AM PDT

Your actually sitting at the time where all the new models start to make their way out to the stores. Each year in the late summer early fall the new yearly models come out. This years models have a variety of changes and improvements depending on what technology your looking at.

LCD sets are tuning there contrast ratio, the processor chips in the TV, and other little features to improve picture quality, nothing break through though.

DLP are coming out strong this year some companies are using the new LED lighting engine (Samsung) in one of there sets. This eliminates the ''glow'' effect and increases the life of the TV's bulb (about 20,000 hours oppose to 9,000 I beleive). Once again nothing break through, the LED is pretty exciting to DLP fans but it's only on one set this year by Samsung. Expect to see it streamlined next year.

Plasma's television are coming out with larger screens, image improvements, and probably the biggest is the lighting. Most sets are using 1 or 2 bulbs I believe to display the picture. Some high end models this year are coming out with 4 I beleive. Giving you a all around bright, rich picture on the whole screen (edegs too). Panasonic I beleive is coming out with this option I don't know about others.

This year's fad for all TV sets is 1080p. The only problem is the companies have half assed this integration in order to make more money. This year the TV's come out with 1080p (the highest pixel and resolution for HDTV's). The only problem, MOST of the sets are only taking a 1080i signal and upconverting it to 1080p. As well the connection on a lot of sets DO NOT support a 1080p/60 input. Which is really what everyone wants. This year there are sets that do come out with the 1080p/60 input. But you have to do your homework and make sure your set has it if your looking for the best future proof TV set.

To some people this 1080p is overhyped about, this is because their currently is no source that inputs a 1080p/60 into your tv (satelite, cable, HD DVD players, Gaming consoles). So they do carry a valid point on one sense, but in 2-8 years do you already want to be upgrading your HDTV for the best picture? No, these are not cheap, it's an investment. If you buy now, go for the top of the line set that has 1080p/60 inputs.

You will thank yourself down the road when HD DVD or Blu-Ray manufacture a player that outputs 1080p signals. Eventually TV broadcasts will hit 1080p but don't hold your breathe on that one for anytime soon. As for gaming consoles they will hit 1080p in the next generation I'm sure. Don't kid yourself on the Playstation 3 either, it can support 1080p but that dosn't mean the games will be 1080p. That would be a waste of the developer's money when they port the same game over three or four consoles. When everything jumps in the 1080p boat (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo) then this could become a reality.

As for when to buy, if you want ot buy this year I would say hold off until just before christmas or late fall at least. By that time all 2006 models should be out and most of them reviewed. Giving you, the buyer a heads up on what to steer clear from and what you may want to purchase.

Cheers,
Jamie

Collapse -
Thanks!
by enigma7837 / August 16, 2006 5:55 AM PDT

That was extremely helpful. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it!

Justin

Collapse -
Don't waste your money on Plasma televsions
by whisperwillows / August 23, 2009 1:43 AM PDT

Justin, don't waste your money on plasma. My husband is an engineer and he said these televisions are in the repair shop more then the LCD or LED tv's. They use more electricity and the life span of a plasma tv is 6 years. The repairs on plasma is very expensive and a little repair will cost you 700.00. The picture quality of new type LCD tv's with LED backlight is even better then most plasma tv's. They use almost no electricity. He use to work for Phillips in the Netherlands and is now an engineer. He said that there is not much development in plasma tv's and they will probably stop production within a few years because the quality of LCD will exceed that of plasma. Don't listen to store reps who don't know what they are talking about. You got it first hand from someone who does. We are going to buy the coming soon Samsung LED model 9000 series tv. I would suggest you reading up on it. It will come in 46 and 55 inch. Price point has not been released yet but I am guessing starting in 4000.00 range for the 46 and up to 4900 for the 55 inch. It is wireless. It is due out late 2009. The 8500 series is due out in September so i am guessing not long after that the 9000 series will be released. But definitely by end of this year.

Collapse -
Plasma will kill mostly all LCD's
by givemeaname / August 23, 2009 5:46 AM PDT

OP.. Black Friday, that is the day after thanksgiving or the week leading up to the Superbowl or when the new replacment model comes out.

Plasmas have 100,000 life spands, that is about 20 year Not 6. LCD have higher rate of being fix then plasma, RPtv are the worse. They have not been 6 year life spand plamsa for about 8 years or more.
Edge lite LCD's can not match a Plamsa blacks, when no signal is sent yes the the LED edge lite LCD will have better blacks but because they dumped local dimming for being thiner so when watching tv/movie the plamsa will have better blacks. All tv's are costly too fix, there is no cheap fix on any tv, it is cheaper now to buy a new tv in most cases.
For power use, I have a 54" G10 as the primary tv, before I had a 50" Sony SXRD RPtv.. My power bill went down with the plasma not up. My 54" plasma can use as little as 90watts with no signal, when watching tv/movies it runs 145-325watts with an average of 220 watts. My SXRD (still have it) always uses 200watts (+/- 10 watts if i use the TV speakers or not) with signal or no signal, dark movie or bright movie, always 200watts draw.

And the plasma cost me just $1850, what does a 55" LED LCD cost?? + that is it.. 55" is the limit in size for LCD's, I think there is a 70" but costs more them some cars.

What will kill plasma and LCD is OLED, next year EM's will be pushing 40" and smaller OLED, the question is what the MSRP's are going to be. In 5-8 years LCD and plasmas will start to be a thing of the past and in 10 years there will only be OLED.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.