Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Best software for beginner

by raulaguilare / May 13, 2006 4:53 AM PDT

I have a windows XP os on a Dell 8200 computer. I would like to know the best beginner's software for web design. I took a front page class and used the front page package that came with windows, but I found it rather unforgiving and difficult. Is there anything out there and is easier for beginners?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best software for beginner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best software for beginner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look up SeaMonkey.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 7:17 AM PDT

It has Composer that many of us used for years and is quite easy to make web pages with.

http://www.w3c.org has links to many free tools and tutorials.

Collapse -
by Andrea B. / May 14, 2006 10:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Look up SeaMonkey.

THE software that allows you to do everything all the fancy, semi-fancy, or not-so-fancy programs like Dreamweaver, HTML Kit, and so forth will offer, but will FORCE you to know what you're doing and LEARN. It's free and everybody already has a copy.....

Collapse -
A helpful reply.
by ZenWarrior / May 18, 2006 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Notepad

I use Notepad myself, but never tell anyone else just starting out to use it. (That ''Notepad-only'' mentality is an hold-over from the days of HTML 1.0. Similarly, you could also do some multivariate statistics ''by hand,'' but only a fool would not take advantage of the many superb statistics packages now available.) To only suggest Notepad is the equivalent of telling someone who only wants to drive from point A to point B to use a Ford Model T and dirt roads when there are Mustangs, T-birds, and paved highways available--and also for free for use.

You might try First Page 2006, Nvu, or WYSIWYG Web Builder. Each is free and will not FORCE you to LEARN everything under the sun ''by hand'' before you can put up a decent enough web page or site.

But once you become familiar with the basic operation (i.e., coding) of any package you select and get something online, I do suggest you go back and pick up some hands-on experience with something like Notepad or another basic text editor. That very basic knowledge of coding will indeed come in handy one day.

Collapse -
Expressing a different opinion is fine....
by Andrea B. / May 20, 2006 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: A helpful reply.

hope it makes you feel better to in the process call me:

--'outdated' (by saying my ''Notepad-only'' mentality is a hold-over from the days of HTML 1.0. (apparently you did not read my post - I mentioned other software, but clearly spelled out why I suggest Notepad)

--- 'a fool' for not taking advantage of the many superb statistics packages now available (Thank you very much - I use Dreamweaver, before that, I worked with HTML Kit - but I LEARNED using Notepad - it helped me to fully understand things since I had to do everything myself.)

Overall, I find your reply extremely rude - you have a different opinion, you're entitled to yours as I'm entitiled to mine - and both are just that - OPINIONS - not right, wrong, just different.

Your opinion is fine - your tone however, is out of place and not appreciated!

Collapse -
by zee10 / May 19, 2006 6:27 AM PDT

I highly recommend SiteSpinner, by VirtualMechanics.com
Absolutely amazing program, with features that easy and joy to use. Very simple - drag, drop and click.
You can try it. But I can guarantee you , that after trying you'll be hooked on it.

Collapse -
Best software for beginner
by raulaguilare / May 23, 2006 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: SiteSpinner

Thanks, I will try this. I am so new and so inexperianced, that ayhtiung that will help me is appreciated.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?