TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best size TV / black bars

by rayh78 / October 10, 2013 11:46 PM PDT

What would be the size HDTV I would need to really have a 46" TV. Right now have a 55" but it is really seems about a 36".
I still don't understand why they even started making these wide screen TV's.
Yes works great just sometimes for a DVD but not regular TV.
Seems a waste to have the screen size but cannot use it unless you stretch the image and make the people look wide.

Most of the time I just watch TV so I end up with black bars on the sides. And sometimes black bars on the top and sides.
Don't a lot of people complain about this?

Seems they would still make the 4.3 TV's if that is what people still watch most of the time.

Thanks for any suggestions. I just can't seem to understand why they do this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best size TV / black bars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best size TV / black bars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: wide screen TV's
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 11, 2013 12:06 AM PDT

They make wide-screen TV's for people who want to look at wide-screen movies from a DVD.
They make less wider TV's (say the usual 1920 x 1080 HDTV) for people who want to use it to look HD broadcasts and HD disks.

Since there's a free choice to buy the one or the other (or a 4:3 TV like http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sansui-27-Class-Tube-SDTV-w-Digital-Tuner-DTV2798/9856472) why would anyone complain about having a choice?
Only people who feel they bought the wrong one should complain. Maybe you're one of them?

Kees

Collapse -
Guessing you had to look hard to find anything like the one
by rayh78 / October 11, 2013 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: wide screen TV's

Still my point is 99% of Tvs sold today are made for what most people watch the least amount of time.
Far more viewing hours are spent watching TV broadcast vs DVDs.

Try to find a good quality LED TV that is made to watch what most use it for.

Collapse -
They have never bother me.
by Oldartq / October 11, 2013 10:32 AM PDT

I guess I really don't know what they look like, fat or skinny...or maybe just don't care. Come to think of it, I don't think I have watch live tv for the last 3 months now since I canceled my cable. Maybe that's one way of not letting them bother me. Keep cool and you'll be happier.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!