Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Best router to use for my house

by Davebth777 / May 24, 2014 10:38 AM PDT

Comcast gave me their (admittedly ******) modem/router combo box, and I hate it. Well I don't hate it, but my technologically impaired parents do. I have no problems with it, because I keep it in my room and use the wired connection for my desktop. They on the other hand are on the opposite side of the house (I live in the attic on the top left of the house, and they live in an addition on top of our garage, which is on the right side of my house), so they don't get good internet. At all. I get upwards of 50 Mbps, they get 1 or less Mbps. So my question is, what router would be the best to reach their side of the house? I believe it's about 50-60 feet away from where the modem/router sits now. I can take a picture of the front of my house if anyone wants to fact check my distance measuring skills because I'm not at all confident in them Silly

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best router to use for my house
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best router to use for my house
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have a friend with similar needs
by wpgwpg / May 24, 2014 11:20 AM PDT

My friend uses a D-Link DIR-665 Xtreme N 450 Gigabit Router Selectable Dual Band 802.11n . I can't speak from personal experience because my WiFi needs don't demand more than a $15 Tenda router, but my friend is very high on his D-Link one. YMMV.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Powerline Adapters
by Adventi / May 25, 2014 8:09 PM PDT

Hey.

Go out and by a power-line adapter just ensure its on the same switch and same power circuit. You can always combine this with a cheap router set up as a AP. It should give you perfect signal or atleast a lot better.

Aaron

Collapse -
Sweet
by Davebth777 / May 26, 2014 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Powerline Adapters

I looked up that power line adapter tech and it looks awesome. I had no idea it existed until today, and it seems like it would be the perfect solution. My concern is though, my house is older (roughly 50 to 60 years older) and the addition is fairly newer, at least half the age of the house. So is there any way to make sure that any two wall plugs are on the same switch and circuit?

Collapse -
Complications
by Davebth777 / May 27, 2014 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Sweet

I just found out that none of the outlets in the addition are on the main house circuit. So that complicates things a little. Plain

Collapse -
Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander Extender 2.4 GHz WRE54G. W
by trucksix / June 23, 2014 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Powerline Adapters

Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander Extender 2.4 GHz WRE54G. Will it work with my "2Wire 2701hg" router? I can't keep on same plug in circuits for a power-line adapter.

Collapse -
I'm removing your question in the sticky post to answer here
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2014 11:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
That's easy.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 25, 2014 8:13 PM PDT

Move the router to your parents side of the house. They'll get the 50 Mbps and you'll get 1 or less.
Maybe halfway would be a good compromise.

A wireless repeater, an access point or a powerline adapter might be a better solution.

Kees

Collapse -
Powerline Adapter vs Wireless Repeater
by Adventi / May 25, 2014 8:20 PM PDT
In reply to: That's easy.

Power-line adapters are better. I google'd around with power-line adapters and wireless repeaters before I posted my answer, knowing one would provide better signal.

It would appear that power-line adapters perform better due to the way they work.

Aaron

Collapse -
Answer
Use repeater
by Sarahts01 / May 26, 2014 7:11 PM PDT

Use Wifi repeaters for amplify and extend your wireless signal.

Collapse -
Repeater = Not best option
by Davebth777 / May 27, 2014 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Use repeater

We already have a repeater. The main problem is the ****** comcast router we have is a router modem combo and the built in router sucks. You're lucky if you can get 15 feet of decent coverage out of it. Also repeaters cut your bandwith in half which is no buenos.

Collapse -
Why not use a router as a WAP.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / May 27, 2014 5:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Best Router to use for my house
by agalyaa123 / November 12, 2014 8:14 PM PST

Thanks for your sharing this information guys..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!