Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

best registry cleaner products??

by sable96 / March 13, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

I have windows xp sp2 and my comp is running very slow. suggestions for registry cleaner/optimizer??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best registry cleaner products??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best registry cleaner products??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: computer running slow.
by Kees Bakker / March 13, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

Whatever the cause of slow running, it's VERY unlikely a registry cleaner will help. Moreover, registry cleaners aren't the subject of this forum.

Tell more on your antivirus and antispyware solutions and post the 5 processes with the highest CPU usage from Task Manager>processes tab.

Kees

Collapse -
computer running slow
by sable96 / March 13, 2008 7:35 AM PDT

sorry, i am kinda a newbie and didn't know where else to ask. the reason i asked about registry cleaner is because this problem didn't start until i installed one (Registry Patrol). I also wonder if 55 processes in task manager is the norm?

Collapse -
I just googled Registry Patrol and
by roddy32 / March 13, 2008 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: computer running slow
Collapse -
well newbie?
by bbrucemcn / March 14, 2008 3:38 PM PDT

55 processes is a bunch much, You can see how much each one of those prosses is useing. CPU shows how much its using by percent and memusage tell you how much memory it needs. any user name that is your name is programs you have added to your sysytem. It take 20 system files; 6 network\local service files on my system and 11 files from my progams. I use registry first aid to keep my registry working well. CCleaner works well also. If you install and deleat alot of files is the only time you need to use this kind of reg cleaner to make your computer faster cuz it will run slower on line after you use those type of cleaners will clean out your cached files like page files

Collapse -
to bbrucemen
by singlesweetnsmart28146 / January 13, 2009 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: well newbie?

that sooooooo sounds like my pc!! how do i know what processes i can delete??? singlesweetnsmart28146@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Think you answered
by morrie 52 / March 16, 2008 12:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
CCleaner is very good...
by Larry38 / March 13, 2008 6:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
ccleaner
by jtryan789 / March 13, 2008 7:02 AM PDT

ditto - ccleaner is excellent

Collapse -
CCleaner broke my PC
by John_Hickey / October 10, 2008 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: ccleaner

CCleaner is very bad tool. It killed my PC with all the data on it, there was OS backup image but no reserve copy of personal data :(.

My choice is Registry Easy.

Collapse -
Should I Use a Registry Cleaner?
by Carol~ Moderator / March 13, 2008 7:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
After trying a slew of them, found Registry Booster 2 best
by dlauber / March 14, 2008 3:23 PM PDT

I feel your pain. But the slow down may not be caused solely or even primarily by the registry.

First, before you get into cleaning your registry, which probably needs a cleaning, make sure you delete temporary files. I had a client with 5,000 temp files slowing down his computer including over 700 in the root directory (c:\). Never allow that many files in your root directory -- it will bring the computer to a near halt.

Second, a number of security programs do slow down computers. Norton is the worst offender, although Trend Micro Pc-Cillan and McAfee are also culprits. Kaspersky Internet Security 7 does not slow down your computer at all. You can get a free 30-day trial from http://usa.kaspersky.com/ -- great tech support based in the USA.

Third, when was the last time your defragmented your hard drive? You should defrag monthly if not more often depending on use. Windows' built-in defrager works, but oh so slowly. Diskeeper is a gem -- it works in the background with no affect on computer speed. You can get a free 30-day trial from http://www.diskeeper.com .

As for registry cleaners, I think I've tried them all. There are a slew of registry repair utilities out there. I've come to conclude that you get what you pay for. I've settled on Registry Booster 2 for all of our computers -- it does the most thorough job without going too far. Available at: http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster
It's not free, but it has more than paid for itself many times over.

I know lots of technical writers like JV PowerTools which is very powerful - perhaps too powerful. I frequently had to restore registry edits it made because it regularly broke programs.

System Mechanic's registry repair utility is child's play, nearly useless.

I'm sure there are a number of other good registry repair utilities out there that will be mentioned in this thread. Just make sure that whatever you use, that it has a restore feature so you can restore registry repairs that break programs. It is likely that you'll run into that problem one time or another (although I must admit I haven't run into it yet with Registry Booster2 on 4 Windows XP computers.)

Good luck.

Collapse -
IF You Don't Have a Sys Restore Point
by tobeach / January 13, 2009 2:32 PM PST

from BEFORE you added the registry cleaner to use, perhaps a System File Checker (SFC) run would help by restoring the systems operating files that may have been damaged. Here's how:

To correct damaged system files , try running System File Checker.
If XP, based on an on board back-up copy of XP(read only) used to correct files. If copy is corrupted, it may tell you to insert XP or SP2/3(if patch applied) disk or to indicate location of SP2/3 info to get new,
clean copy inserted. Good to have disk at hand. To Run SFC:

Left click on My Computer(open)
Right click on "C" or your OS drive if another letter.
Left click Properties and then click Tools Tab.
Left click on "Error Checking"> Check Now.
Left click to enter check mark in "Auto Fix System File Errors"
Left click on "Start".
Computer will have to reboot to begin repairs. Restart computer.
Just leave alone (you're locked out anyway) 'til process finished.

Fingers crossed for you!! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!