TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best receiver for Video quality

by Michael Robertson--2008 / November 30, 2009 10:48 PM PST

I currently own a Onkyo SR 606, but recently upgraded my TV to a Panasonic P54-V10. Should I upgrade my receiver as well? I am using HDMI connections for my cable box and blueray dvd player. Wondering if a newer one has better video capabilities. Audio performance is not as much an issue, since the room is not large. Getting a calabration from geek squad on Dec 10th.
Any opinions, recommendations appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best receiver for Video quality
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best receiver for Video quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video qualities of panel & source more important
by Pepe7 / December 1, 2009 12:06 AM PST

The Panny V10 is a solid HDTV. Many of the newer Blu Ray players are also solid performers, even upconverting DVDs. [Look at Oppo for a real shining star ;).] In this sense, personally, I'd worry more about those two components can do ahead of what video processing in your typical value-priced receiver can achieve. While your Onkyo SR606 is not so good at video processing per se, it's fine at handling the audio, essentially providing more bang for the buck at that general price point anyway. I don't see any pressing need for you to upgrade at this time, but that's me ;).

-P

Collapse -
I've heard the 606 has issues with video
by minimalist / December 1, 2009 2:20 AM PST

but I'm not sure how extensive they really are and how much of it is just lab results that don;t mean much in the real world. I have a 706 and pass through my video signal to a 46" Sony Bravia just fine.

It seems a bit over the top to upgrade the receiver just for the video though if you are happy with it in all other ways. Maybe just directly connect to your TV with HDMI and then run it through the receiver and see if you notice a difference? If not then you just save yourself hundreds of dollars.

Collapse -
very nice TV
by jostenmeat / December 1, 2009 12:23 PM PST

You might want to check the build date, or much more specifically, find out which FW your THX is running on, if you care for the THX. Secondary color issues exist with version 1.19, particularly that cyan is pushed too close to blue, the most offensive results being the greens. CNET corroborated this info, as they found blue sky reflected in water to be too dim.

You're probably running current FW. Especially since your Onkyo is working fine too, as they have a specific 1.25 FW to deal with Onkyos HDCP.

Version 1.28 I am led to believe is mostly for VieraCast. Speaking of which, some are updating via VC but there is a lot discussion whether FW is cumulative or not. I dunno. Others might suggest contacting Pana directly for an SD card with updates.

Again, you're probably already fine. I just researched this stuff for my friend who finally has his 65V10 shipped out today.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - - -- - - - - - -- -

Since you did buy a 54V10, I'm assuming you have at least a chunk of change to throw at your video.

If it's only particularly DVD that you are concerned about, I also would go Oppo (ABT), and if you really don't care about SACD, I might even go Denon for Realta if the price point is similar.

If it's for cable, just know there is only so much you can do with crap. If you still want to do what you can with cable signals, your best bet is to invest in an outboard video processor. I would recommend the DVDO Edge as the bare minimum, and from there the sky is the limit.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - -- - - - - - --

for calibration, I'd be pretty apprehensive about letting BB do my cal for me. Do you know what software they will use? What colorimeter, spectroradiometer, if at all? Or are they just going to do something you can do for yourself?

If you want to find a pro, with a good chance of finding recommendations/feedback on any particular pro, sign in here, and run a search function of your city and state.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=586330

This list is primarily for Pioneer calibrators who can or cannot install this particular thing for their panels, but I'd be highly surprised if they couldn't adequately calibrate your V10. Anyways, just for reference:
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.