Desktops forum

Question

Best Ram for my PC build

by kreak17 / May 26, 2015 11:54 AM PDT

Hi,

I trying to build a pc but are quite confused with which Ram i should have.

My build as below:

CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard
Asus Z97-K

Case
Thermaltake Versa H23 ATX Mid Tower Case

Please advise the best Ram for this build

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Ram for my PC build
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Ram for my PC build
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2015 12:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
Plain and simple
by kreak17 / May 26, 2015 1:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly

Not thinking of over volting and over clocking since i not skillful enough for it.
The build is already quite suffice, needed the correct ram for the long run.

My previous build has lasted me for 5years, i expect my new build will do the same.

Collapse -
Plainly put...
by Willy / May 26, 2015 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Plain and simple

Your mtrbd. will dictate what ram it requires and thus you get that type. NOW, there are different brands out there and generally they'll all work if brought as a "matched set". Price here determines what value of the ram as they settlle into, entry(basic), middle, and hi-end(best) because of the either attached heatsinks, LEDs or devices for possible water cooling, get the idea. So, if you see your typical ram module, as plain-jane ie: $5 and the next at $8, then one at $10, which one would fit your needs. Google or review the ram vendors out there and see what's offered. Again, your manual or mtrbd. specs will want x-ram type, maybe DDR3, then look at manufactured. Also, better mtrbd. brands tend to offer a ram list already proven to work with the mtrbd. in question, so check the support website from Asus on your model#.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Then go get Crucial.com RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2015 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Plain and simple

It's simple to use and since you are not overclocking it will work fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Here's my approach... look up the RAM that's been
by VAPCMD / May 27, 2015 12:52 PM PDT

'approved' by the MB Mfg on their website and thereafter go to a high volume vendor like Newegg and find products that matches the mfg's RAM specs and gets good ratings from buyers. Second ...get all the RAM you plan to use in that PC upfront.....don't buy 4 GBs now and 4GBs later....get it all upfront. GSkill makes some good stuff and I often buy that....most all RAM is guaranteed for life by the mfg but I want it up and running ...not going back to the mfg for repair or replacement . If you're not comfortable with that ....you can always go to Crucial.com and they're top notch....especially if you're adding RAM to an older system.

Another approach....go to the MB mfgs website and then to the forum for your MB. You'll probably get a chance to see what other ASUS MB Z97-K owners are using for RAM in their systems. Should give you a sense of what really works in that MB.

That said ...take a look at the various products and post the options here. We'll be around for questions.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!