Peripherals forum

Question

Best printer if it will be idle for months?

by buddyj57 / May 29, 2015 3:59 AM PDT

I've tried several brands/types of printers for my boss's summer house. The printer often goes unused for 6 months or more. The print heads get clogged and fail, whether he removes the ink cartridges or not. My last failure was a HP 576dw (although it appears this model has a high print head failure based on posts I've seen when tried to clear the error message). In fact, removing the cartridges seems to make it fail faster. Laser toner cakes and it seems to mess with the drum. I think a printer that the print head and cartridge are the same would be the best solution, but I haven't found one yet. Suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best printer if it will be idle for months?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best printer if it will be idle for months?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Will have to go back to impact printers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 4:20 AM PDT

Since ribbons can be replaced or you can try to place them in hermetic small bags, this looks to be where old dot matrix printers will rule.

I've seen laser printers go for a few years but I wonder if this summer house is subject to temp, humidity extremes.
Bob

Collapse -
Just spotted a laser printer for ... 60 bucks new.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 29, 2015 5:26 AM PDT

Maybe it's the price of printing yearly there.

But why must there be a printer there? Why not admit that we have to carry it in and out?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
It is going to be tough
by renegade600 / May 29, 2015 4:45 AM PDT

I know what you are going through. I had the same issue with my last couple of printers. I don't do much printing anymore so my printer sits for months. I found a cheap printer at walmart - a hp deskjet 3050 almost two years ago and it does not have that problem. ink may evaporate a bit faster but no problems with the print head - yet.

One thing you can do is if the summer home has electricity and internet access all year around is to remotely run a page through the printer once a month.

Collapse -
Answer
No miracles...just box it
by Willy / May 30, 2015 1:16 PM PDT

Any inkjet and it seems even a laser got hosed, so that suggests *ANY PRINTER* is about to experience problems sooner or later. Since, the printer doesn't get used much, then store it in a storage box. I suggest a "cooler" large enough with a sealed lid of sorts. You have to go through the extra steps of storage but at least you have a fighting chance of a working printer at a later date once reconnected again. Just shut it down in a normal fashion, disconnect and drop in box. Of course depending on the size of printer will determine the storage box size or use some Pelican type case(google it). If a simple printer is required then a laptop mobile printer may fit the needs. Not only that but boxing these smaller printers are easier. Alas, if inkjet printer leave ink carts installed, they are "parked" in a *capped position*.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
saran wrap the cartridge printer head
by James Denison / May 30, 2015 2:36 PM PDT

be sure the saran wrap is tight across the print head. When you need to use them again, put a bit of rubbing alcohol into a small bowl, just enough to cover the flat area, not deep, and hold the print head into it for a minute or two. Dab carefully the print head to dry, install, print test page.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.