TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best possible audio

by Carlton E. Smith / June 17, 2008 8:32 AM PDT

My panasonic BD-30 blu-ray player have built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital & DTS. Multichannel uncompressed PCM output, & bitstream audio output for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, & DTS-HD Master Audio. I've downloaded the latest 1.8 firmware. Allof my HDMI cables are Monster 1000HD, connected to my Onkyo SR606 Receiver. The Onkyo delivers Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, & DTS Neo:6 decoding. My questions are, to get the full impact sound when watching Blu-ray movies, what should the audio setting be set to on both of these componets? The audio sounds good now, but something tells me it can be better from my surround sound.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best possible audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best possible audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jasondtx / June 17, 2008 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Best possible audio

You can try it two different ways to see which sounds better. First, try sending it bitstream to the receiver and have the Onkyo decode the audio formats. Second, try and send it multichannel pcm to receiver and decode it in the player. It depends on the DACs and performance of the player and receiver which I have not heard that combination personally.

Collapse -
the BD-30
by jostenmeat / June 18, 2008 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Audio

can only bitstream the hi-def codecs. Just fyi.

Collapse -
Congrats on having latest gen electronics.
by NM_Bill / June 18, 2008 1:39 AM PDT

However, most all the sound difference is do to all the inherent differences between speakers. Are your speakers as classy as your electronics? Were they chosen with as much care?

You'll have to let us know. It could be that the crowning glory is not just decoding all codecs but carefully choosing your set of speakers. At this point we just haven't a clue.

Choosing speakers is an important project unto itself. It requires some commitment to get out there & do comparative listening. Take a couple of CDs you are intimately familiar with. R&R is a poor choice as it gets mixed in strange ways. Light classics are fine. I'd highly recommend some significant vocals. Vocals are mid-range frequency but are surprisingly difficult to reproduce well. Don't even jump the gun with concern about highs & lows until you are assured those mid-ranges are being handled well.

I highly suggest you take simple notes because confusion comes oh so easily. Perhaps talk of speakers is irrelevant to your question. But, be assured most all sound difference is due to speaker difference.

Each person has their priorities. Who knows what perfection is? The developer of THX is now advocating 10.2 sound. It is perhaps more clear to think of it as two 5.1 arrays of speakers run in unison.

As to settings for you equipment, I don't off hand know if an Onkyo 606 has Audyssey auto set up/room EQ. That feature takes microphone measurements at six or more points & analysizes them. Once Audyssey sets things up for its idea of neutrality, you may then do a little toying with settings yourself as it has been mentioned more than once that it may set subwoofers too low as a function of its internal default setting for subwoofer.

Nonetheless, the idea is for you to maximize your enjoyment.

Collapse -
what exactly could sound better?
by jostenmeat / June 18, 2008 5:25 AM PDT

that's like saying I have a car (and not telling you the model), saying that I put in new spark plugs, and complaining that I think something could be better, but not even saying what that something is.

the time it takes for me to explain settings to you would far outweigh the amount of time to skim the top half of pg 21 of your panasonic manual.

set everything to bitstream.

onkyo's are the easiest receivers in the world to setup. In fact, even if you touched nothin out of the box, i bet it will work fine.

outside of assigning inputs, adjusting bass mgmt, speaker level, distance, other settings.

more important than the above will be

-room acoustics
-speakers chosen
-speaker placement
-sub chosen
-sub placement
-and the efforts to deal with room acoustics, speaker placement, sub placement, listener placement.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?