Phones forum

Question

Best Phone ~$300

Im looking for a new somewhat budget smartphone and have had trouble finding the right one. The phones I'm looking at need a decent camera (at least 10 MP) and should be fast enough that it will last for two years or so without becoming unbearably slow. It should also have at least 16 GBs of space and have a nice looking design. One last thing is that it should have a fairly big screen with nice resolution. These are some ones that I've looked at:

OnePlus One - $250
Xiaomi Mi 4i - $200
Microsoft Lumia 840 - $200
Microsoft Lumia 640 XL - $240
Huawei Ascend Mate 2 - $300

The OnePlus One and the Xiaomi are both very much bang for the buck phones, with the OnePlus having more impressive specs. However, Im a little bit worried about the software with both which is supposedly a bit dodgy and the OnePlus was designed by a Chinese startup which supposedly has awful support.

I'm open to any other phones you might think would be more suitable as well, but these were the ones I saw that looked most interesting. My budget would be around $150-$300.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Phone ~$300
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Phone ~$300
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Didn't Microsoft announce the end?

In reply to: Best Phone ~$300

Their message is unclear but given their past, why consider them at all?

Also, why not some sub 200 buck BLU?

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Dodgy? In what way? Android issues?

Android is the new Windows. It has a lot of issues still but for mostly in the app store. For example my latest high end phone came without a calculator. No big deal I thought but every free calculator has ads and because of that dropped the battery times.

Collapse -
Best Phone ~$300

In reply to: Dodgy? In what way? Android issues?

Not android software in general but the software specifically used by OnePlus and Xiaomi. I read a couple of reviews on both the phones and it seems they have often have problems or something like that. Regardless of that, both the OnePlus and Xiaomi have amazing specs for the price so Im kinda leaning towards them.

As for that second reply - do you have any suggestions with any BLU phones? I was looking at some when on their website but couldn't find anything that was suited for my needs.

Collapse -
I didn't see your needs.

For me this one seemed to fit the bill and it's not pricey at all.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YR23KL8 is all of 99 bucks. They have better models but I have a similar one but without LTE. It hits the right marks for ram and storage to get a fair Android experience without pollution of maker added skins.

Lollipop too.

Collapse -
Looks Pretty Good

In reply to: I didn't see your needs.

Looks like a pretty great phone - especially for the price. A couple things though - it has 8 GB of space, battery is alright but a little bit bigger would be nice. Is there a better version of the BLU Life One for a slightly increased price?

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: Looks Pretty Good

But the BLU line up is on the web. Now that they have dozens of models I can't do the concierge thing. The 8GB here wasn't a big deal as I popped in a 12 buck 32GB memory card. I haven't run low on space.

For me, these are very attractive as the Android is about as pure an Android experience I can get for the money. My favorite all out Android is the Nexus but here are are talking discount so back to the models you listed and I'll mention BLU.

What am I using right now? A LG G4. But that's in another class of it's own.

How about this picture I took with my BLU 6?
http://i.imgur.com/XMNgFBl.jpg

That model is what I carry when I want a Phablet.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Sorry

Ok thanks for all the suggestions and such. I'll review the ones you showed and probably decide between one of them - the studio looks pretty good for 250 so I might go for that.

Collapse -
The 6.0 Studio far less than 250.

In reply to: Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Asus

Best phone for 300 is the Zenfone 2 imho. 4gb ram 2.3ghz 64bit quad core intel processor 5.5 inch FHD screen and 64gb of ram. There is also a 200 dollar version with 2gb ram, 16gb of storage and 1.8 ghz clock speed.

Collapse -
Asus

In reply to: Asus

Hi there - I read some reviews and looked at the specs. The specs are quite impressive but I'm not too big a fan of phone design.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Collapse -
Answer
Huawei Ascend Mate 2 and One Plus One

In your top choices, Huawei Ascend mate 2 and One Plus One is quite impressive handsets, that deliver best features and specifications at your budget. They both offer you good display and build design, better camera functionality and flexible performance etc.

Collapse -
Huawei / OnePlus / Xiaomi

In reply to: Huawei Ascend Mate 2 and One Plus One

Between the two which one do you think would be best for me?

The OnePlus One has the best overall specs and design over any of the phones I've looked at for my budget but the fact that it was made by a startup is concerning - especially since it supposedly has very bad support. The OnePlus One is my first choice but after reading so many reviews of how horrid the support is, Im not sure.

The Huawei on the other hand is also pretty nice and has great specs, however it's probably a bit of a safer phone to get. One thing I don't like about it though is its screen is a bit too large for my taste (6.1), also the screen resolution isn't that great.

The Xiaomi mi i4 is also a good one though because it has comparable specs to the OnePlus but is a tiny bit safer. The software on this phone apparently has an outdated look to it though unfortunately. (According to some reviews I've read)

Thanks for the reply by the way!

Collapse -
Answer
The One Plus One

The fact that the One Plus One is able to compete with the S6 and the one M9 at a decent price is what makes it stand out for me.

Collapse -
Answer
Best Phones

All these phones are great but I would also like to recommend you some phones that I and some of my friends have used and they perform very well.

So have a look at them:

Lumia 635

The Lumia 635 has a 4.5 inch display, 5 megapixel camera, quad-core 1.2 GHz processor, microSD card, replaceable 1830 mAh battery, and more. It runs Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Cyan.

The Lumia 635 includes 30GB of free OneDrive storage, Cortana personal assistant, full GPS navigation, Microsoft Office, Skype and more. It's a very functional device and worth consideration.

Moto E LTE

Motorola makes some of my favorite Android smartphones and its lowest price offering is the Moto E 4G LTE priced at just $149.99.

You will also find a microSD card slot, 4.5 inch display, 5 megapixel camera, and 2,390 mAh battery. There are plenty of cool accessories and very functional Motorola software.

Samsung Galaxy Core Prime

The Samsung Galaxy Core Prime is highly rated and available for $168.

The Galaxy Core Prime has a 4.5 inch display, runs Android 4.4, a microSD card slot, a user-removable 2,000 mAh battery, 5 megapixel camera, and slim 8.8 mm thickness.

I hope these must be helpful for you. Good luck shopping for your new phone!! Grin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.