PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Best PCI SCSI card

by wahnula / February 27, 2005 1:56 AM PST

Hello,

I am upgrading an old office server (PentuiumPro 200 x 2, Intel mobo, SCSI hard drive & DDS4 tape backup).

I have a new LGA775 mobo w/ Pentium 520 HT + 1 GB Corsair twinX RAM that I would like to convert to my new server. I will be using a new case & power supply.

The question is: Which SCSI adapter PCI card should I buy?

The PCI Express adapters are all overpriced. The server was built in '99 so I would assume it's all old hardware, but I think the HDD is decent and would like to use it initially until I can clone it and convert to SATA RAID. Currently the server mobo has onboard SCSI and an adapter card for the tape backup.

Any suggestions for the upgrade in general or specific pitfalls to avoid in this process will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best PCI SCSI card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best PCI SCSI card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The lesson I learned was...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Best PCI SCSI card

To stick with the Adaptec SCSI cards.

Collapse -
Best PCI SCSI card
by jcrobso / February 27, 2005 2:25 AM PST

I would look for an Adaptec SCSI card you can get one on ebay a 2940uw will be under $20 ( cost over $200 new ) and they work great. John

Collapse -
Thanks! now...
by wahnula / February 27, 2005 4:52 AM PST

Are there any warnings for when I go to configure the new server? I will be trying to run the old NT4.0 SCSI HDD on the LGA775 w/ Intel 915, I really don't want to futz with the drive (and its data) at all. If there's any chance for drive data corruption I want to know about it, and hopefully how to avoid it.

I will have the drivers for the Adaptec 2940UW on hand, any other surprises to look for? I also have the original NT4.0 disc and all the apps on disc.

I also have a full drive backup on DDS4 tape just in case, but I'd rather not have to use it.

Thanks!

Tony

Collapse -
NT will not boot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks! now...

It's one of the fun things we get to deal with when moving a drive from one machine to another.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=249694 is notable but the NT 4 version is being elusive. The procedure is pretty much the same.

Bob

Collapse -
So you're saying NT4.0 will DEFINITELY not boot...
by wahnula / February 27, 2005 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: NT will not boot.

...in the new config, or just that it MIGHT not boot? Chances in percentage points for will boot/won't boot? I'm asking because I think this is an upgrade I can handle, but if it's going to possibly be a danger to our data I will get a pro to do it, just HATE that price!

Tony

Collapse -
From a Dual Pro (BTW, I had one with....)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 8:52 AM PST

My dual pro was fitted with Pro Overdrives. It was sweet for its day.

I could take a bet that NT 4.0 will not boot from that platform to the new one. You'll get to reinstall the OS.

Data danger shouldn't be an issue. If it is, then something is not right with the plan.

In fact, it may be a faster machine if you just move straight to today's high speed IDE drive and leave the old slow SCSI drives and the old Dual Pro machine intact.

Bob

Collapse -
Something not be right with the plan...
by wahnula / February 27, 2005 9:49 AM PST

My plan was to install the old HDD in the new system, boot up & be done. If I have to reinstall the OS, won't the data go bye-bye in the process?

I want to keep the server configured as-is, with all its apps, drive letters etc. Should I clone it to an IDE drive first?

Or should I build the new machine, intstall all the apps and then do a restore from Veritas Backup Exec tape?

What would be your plan for this process? Thanks!

Tony

Collapse -
Been there, there was no t-shirt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 10:38 AM PST

"Or should I build the new machine, intstall all the apps and then do a restore from Veritas Backup Exec tape?

What would be your plan for this process? Thanks!"

Yes, that's one way. How about just leave the old machine online, install the new machine as a backup domain server, let all the accounts propagate over as you copy the files over the network with the SCOPY tool and then demote the old machine, promote the new machine then take the old machine offline?

That's the method you were taught in the NT classes and it's in the NT server "books".

Bob

Collapse -
Warnings, YES!
by Edward ODaniel / February 28, 2005 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks! now...

I haven't read the full thread but UNLESS you switch SCSI adapters BEFORE the switch NT, as Bob's subject title indicates, will not boot.

To add the adapter to the present server just add as you would any other new adapter. NT will not activate the drivers installed unless SCSI devices are attached. Attach in new computer and attach drive and it should boot (normal warnings regarding termination and SCSI IDs apply).

Now the problems may lie with motherboard drivers which will need to be added.

Sometimes it is easiest to just bite the bullet and start over.

Collapse -
PS -- forgot to address...
by Edward ODaniel / March 1, 2005 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: Warnings, YES!

the fact of dual processor.

You will also have to go back to a single processor HAL prior to attempting the change. That is not difficult though.

Collapse -
About the DUAL processor HAL.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2005 12:43 AM PST

I've done the switch from dual to single many times so it's not a sure thing you would have to change the HAL. My experience is ... The dual cpu hal works most of the time on the single cpu system. The single cpu hal works only slightly less of the time than the dual when on the dual cpu system. Since changing HALs is not trivial, I always give it a go before I change it.

However, I've never had any luck in moving NT from machine to machine with vastly different chipsets. The dual pentium pro chipset was the FX series from all the machines I've seen and NT should lock right up when moved to any P4 system. I can write I've tried that one! And many more than one time.

My best advice is to do the move just like the NT 4 SERVER RESOURCE KIT tells us. The Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit also will have the procedure.

Bob

Collapse -
Just one thing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 10:39 AM PST

Some of today's hardware doesn't have NT 4.0 drivers. I've seen a few companies burst into flames over that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Best PCI SCSI card
by JamesJ / February 27, 2005 2:38 PM PST

I can't remember if I've ever run into this myself, but I've read that different SCSI cards can interpret a drive in different ways. What this means is, if you connect your drive to a new SCSI card, it may not be able to read anything on the drive. In that case, you'd have to reformat (low-level format, I think) the drive on the new card and go from there.

Like I said, I can't remember for sure if I've ever run into that myself, but I've read that it can be a problem, so I wanted to mention it. I don't know if there's any way to know ahead of time if a new SCSI card will be compatible with your old one, unless you can find someone who has already moved a drive from a SCSI controller like your old one to a new SCSI card.

James

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?