TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

best overall big screen

by adb280z / November 26, 2004 2:30 AM PST

I'm looking for the best overall picture. I'm looking for a TV over 55 inches and am not concerned about weight or size on the floor. I have plenty of room so the benefits of a small footprint are not that important to me. I just want the best possible picture. Thanks,

Andy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best overall big screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best overall big screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: best overall big screen
by buddyluv / November 26, 2004 10:34 PM PST

Check out these three TV's by Sony KDF60xs955,Kdf 60Xbr950,Kdf70XBR950.Clearest pictures I've seen in
HD.

Collapse -
by mdj / November 26, 2004 10:55 PM PST

Yes i have to agree i just got the SONY KDF-55XS955. My only complaint is the cooling fan you can hear a little. Do All LCDs have cooling fans and does anyone out there in TV land hear their fan. Is there anything that one can do to lessen the sound??

Collapse -
by Wholly Kaw / December 5, 2004 4:35 PM PST

Good recommendations. Just remember that the two XBR's are a year or two old now and cant hold a candle to the XS950 or any of the other new models.

The new models also have MUCH better menus and adjustments.

I wonder what the NEW XBR's will have in store for us. Happy

Collapse -
LCOS=beautiful picture
by 4wdrift / December 27, 2004 6:24 AM PST

Philips 62PL9774
18" deep for 62" picture, Price is better, and picture is better than LCD. IMO.
Click here for specs They look great with the matching stand.

If you can find one one of these still they are a great value. I love mine. I got it for les than 1/2 original list at Ultimate Because they are discontinued.

I can hear the fan if I mute the sound. It is very quiet but has Whinny tone.
-4WDrift

Collapse -
Philips 62PL9774 Cineos television
by theweez / January 8, 2005 9:32 AM PST
In reply to: LCOS=beautiful picture

I am considering buying one of these televisions, but I am concerned because you say that they have been discontinued. Do you know why? Were there problems with the television?

Collapse -
economics
by 4wdrift / January 8, 2005 2:12 PM PST

I understand the line was discontinued for price point and profitability isues. They cost as much as a plasma to make but canot be sold in the same price for screen size catagory.
The set is based on a highly robust technology which should hold up for 15+ years withought picture degrade. My set (62) is great! I only have one small gripe. While in the menu there is a graphic ball which spins after every click of the remote. Quickly clicking through is not an option. I have to calmly page through the silly menu to make any changes. A gripe not realy worth mentioning...

If you can find one of the 55's or 62's it should be heavily discounted. I would buy mine again for sure. My friend from work bought the 55", he is also happy.

make sure you get the Black one with "pixle plus" it is an awsom clarity boost. Sorry I currently dont remember the model numbers.

Collapse -
BIg Screen
by indycoltz / December 29, 2004 6:37 AM PST

Before you purchase anything, please check out the Mistsubishi DLP 62 inch series. C-net gives it a very high rating and has some of the best technology out there. It can also be updated. Check this out you won't be sorry!!!

Collapse -
Hitachi
by jch52805 / January 1, 2005 11:49 AM PST

The Sony's listed are all great TVs, but the Hitachi 50, 60, or 70vs810 are incredible. Any TV that can display 1080p something that everyone should take a look at

Collapse -
RE: big screens
by irishrulze / January 3, 2005 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: Hitachi

providing you can actually get a 1080p signal that would be great but since most signals aren't anything close I would look elsewhere. JVC had bosted a 1500i signal for years but a sony XBR CRT looks so much better....buy back to the question, CRT is STILL the best picture in the buisness....They are cheaper and if you are sitting in front of them there is no other...if you can still find a pioneer elite you will be in buisness, if not check out the 65 inch Diamond series by Mitsubishi...there are no others that compare

Collapse -
BIG TV
by irishrulze / January 3, 2005 2:45 AM PST

providing you can actually get a 1080p signal that would be great but since most signals aren't anything close I would look elsewhere. JVC had bosted a 1500i signal for years but a sony XBR CRT looks so much better....buy back to the question, CRT is STILL the best picture in the buisness....They are cheaper and if you are sitting in front of them there is no other...if you can still find a pioneer elite you will be in buisness, if not check out the 65 inch Diamond series by Mitsubishi...there are no others that compare

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!