Laptops forum

General discussion

Best notebook suitable for graphic design

by John Muller / May 23, 2006 7:50 PM PDT

First of all my apologies for any faults in my spelling. I'm European and English is not my first language...

Anyway,
I'm looking for a GOOD QUALITY notebook best suitable for design with Adobe Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I know "the brand in design" is Apple but I find the pro-series notebook to expensive. The budget is about $1000.

I know I need a CoreDuo 1Ghz processor and 1Gb of RAM. Also keeping in mind that the new Windows version will appear early next year.

The notebook does not have to optimized for mobility for I will use it in my home and at offices (at the desk).

Please help me choose...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best notebook suitable for graphic design
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best notebook suitable for graphic design
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why is this needed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

Call me an old foogey, but we ran such applications on 1/2 the machine you noted. Detail exactly how you arrived at the core duo as the minimum here.

In closing, you have your price point, you have your market area so all you need to do is see what fits.

Bob

Collapse -
Expensive mistakes
by John Muller / May 23, 2006 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Why is this needed?

Years ago I bought a Compaq Pressario Notebook. It had a 3GB hard disk and if I can recall correctly 64MB RAM. Two Corel-Draw software up-dates later the computer was useless to me. I still have it stacked somewhere in the attik.

Nowadays I use my Dell precision desktop at work for graphics, and it sometimes crashes because of the graphic calculation.

To avoid this problem my interest goes to a "larger then needed" computer. On the Compaq the LCD screen went bad very quickly. Contrast and brightness went bad so that's why I'm looking for a GOOD quality notebook.

I heared that the Core Duo was able to handle complicated tasks...

Collapse -
Such was not sold a few years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2006 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Expensive mistakes

I can guess that you picked up some used machine.

My laptop in 2000 was a nice Acer ter-600 with Windows 2000, 256MB RAM, 11GB hard disk and the p3-600. It ran all I needed easily. I eventually upgraded the hard disk and CDRW (to CDRW/DVD.) It was 1750US.

Near the end of 2005 the office supplied a nice Compaq r3000 with 2GHz Athlon 64, CDRW/DVD, 60GB drive, 512M, XP, wifi, bluetooth, etc and it's quite nice. We got 2 with one for 729US and the second at 829US.

Today we see many machines in the sub 1000US category with even better specs so you should have quite a list to pick from.

"Nowadays I use my Dell precision desktop at work for graphics, and it sometimes crashes because of the graphic calculation."

(knock wood) This never happens to me. However my machines have current drivers, no pests and nothing that doesn't need to be installed (lean and mean).

That 3GB laptop is likely from a decade ago. Times have changed and I would pick up almost any of the v2000 line from Compaq and others without much fret.

-> More to the point, what is available to you can be determined by where you are and your price point. Start making a list of machines that:
a) Are available.
b) Meet your price point.

Then sort it by criteria you feel are important.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.