General discussion

Best NAS

Been looking at HP's MV2020, Netgear ReadyNAS, and Iomega StorCenter. I would entertain other options as well. Things that are important to me are: data security (redundancy, we had a HDD fail and lost lots of pictures of first baby), speed, and media streaming. Any thoughts?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Best NAS
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best NAS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You brought up the key issue. BACKUP!!!

No matter which system you choose if you don't follow the old rules about backup you get to (re) learn why they came up with that.

Too many people today use such systems as STORAGE and forget about the all important second copy and backups.

I like that HP but for me a simple low wattage LINUX BOX is doing my NAS.

Bob

- Collapse -
Not as easy as RAID?

Maybe I am putting too much faith into the RAID system. I was hoping that I could avoid or at least minimize the amount of backing up I needed to do with the redundant drives. The HP seemed to be fine but with only RAID 1 capability data corruption seemed to be a potential problem. I had thought that the RAID 5 of the netgear might help in that aspect. I admit that am not that familiar with the pro's and con's of the different RAID systems as a backup system to a HDD failure.

- Collapse -
I don't know about best NAS, but...

I see on friday's paper that Fry's has a sale on a Maxtor 500GB shared storage II NAS for $200 (normally $300). The # is 5306728.

- Collapse -
i think the nvidia ion will be the best

when the nvidia Ion comes out ,that will be the best one easily, running Ubuntu of course.

CNET Forums