Laptops forum

General discussion

Best Multimedia Laptop Toshiba or Sony VAIO

by walterjr73 / May 24, 2006 1:04 PM PDT

I'm looking for a good multimedia laptop for graphic designing, photo editing, video and music download.

I would like the laptop to have an Intel Core Duo (1.80 GHz minimum), at least 1 GB of RAM (DDR2), 17'' screen, 128 MB minimum video car PCI-E (preferably 256 MB0, and 150 Hard Drive minimum.

I found Toshiba to have the laptop specifications I want. The Toshiba Satellite P105-S921 and the Toshiba Qosmio G35-AV600 or Qosmio G35-AV650, but I don't know which one would be best. Although the Satellite got a higher rating than the Qosmio in cnet.com, I'm leaning more to the Satellite cause of teh rating. The Satellite is a gaming laptop and I might be wasting it if I'm not running games on the laptop or does it matter.

I'm also leaning towards the new Sony VAIO AR190G but the price is kinda high. I would prefer the Sony VAIO if the price was lower.

So if anyone has any inputs please reply.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Multimedia Laptop Toshiba or Sony VAIO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Multimedia Laptop Toshiba or Sony VAIO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well...

Each one has a good part ...

The Quosmio for its very good quality built and its two hard-drives.

The P105-S921 for its nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 ( but it's useless for a multimedia notebook ) and its design.

The Sony for its Blue-Ray optical drive ( but that gives nothing of more ! There will be always DVD's availab le in the future ).

Personnally, I think the game is between the two toshiba laptops.

But the Satellite is more a gaming laptop with its GeForce Go 7900 GS...

Also, take a look to the Dell Inspiron 9400 with its ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 or also available with the GeForce Go 7800/7900 GS.

The Dell Inspiron 6400 could be also a nice choice. I have one and I love it. I think that 17" laptops are too big and too heavy even if you carry it only over the house.

So, I leave you with this !

Collapse -
hd or blu-ray?
by levarge / May 25, 2006 7:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

so what are your thought on this.you seem very knowledgable,im new at this,im kinda in the same boat g35650 or wait for the sony ar190g.or just try dell.i just want something good. thanks any advice would be apreciated.

Collapse -
HD and Blue-Ray are useless
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / May 25, 2006 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: hd or blu-ray?

HD-DVD and Blue-Ray Disk are useless. This will take a long time to see that many people buy HD of B-R readers.

And this is more expensive than a dual-layer DVD Burner.

And what is the utilisation if you can't burn HD-DVD or Blue-Ray disk ?

I think it's a big mistake to get out on the market two types of media. People will find it mixing to choose between both...

And when will you burn up to 8,5 GB on a DVD ? If the data overpass the storage cpacity of the DVD, build you a wired network between two computers. This take about 10 minutes ( and maybe less ! ) and you transfert the data at 100 MB/s !

Collapse -
Question about what you want
by jelgert / May 25, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

I was just curious as to how intensive your graphical editing and photo editing was because if it is something you do rather a lot and would like the best performance while doing it you'd really be better off with faster hardrive and a higher frequency RAM. I took a quick glance around looking at the specifications you gave and looking for the best system for all of this and basically limited it down to 2 makers but neither was the ones you had listed originally. First the laptop maker I could find that had a large enough hardrive at 7200 rpm and 667 MHz Ram speed with at least a 15" screen was a Fujitsu the only problem possibly being with this system is that the resolution might not quite meet your needs. The other possibility is the dell E1505 or E1705 both of which will meet all your specifications except on the Hard drive space which your going to max out at 100 GB because the systems only have one hard drive as opposed to two but it runs at 7200 rpm which I think would help you out. But anyways hope that helps you choose and your going to want to stay away from sony if your looking to save money not because its a bad machine or anything they just aren't cheap.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.