Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Best MP3 Player for voice recording

Hi, I am looking for an MP3 player/recorder that

a) records voice at 32 kbps/above 9000Hz
b) can record for at least 5, but preferably up to 10 hours (at this rate)
c) records in MP3 or WAV format
d) is MAC compatible
e) costs less than $200

Can this be done? Do you have any recommendations?

I am planning to use this for Linguistics research, but I am having trouble finding enough information about equipment online to make a purchase.

Thanks for your help!
Vanessa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best MP3 Player for voice recording
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best MP3 Player for voice recording
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Best MP3 Player for voice recording

In reply to: Best MP3 Player for voice recording

It's been discussed in this forum before. In short, 4 out of 5 of your criteria are met with units from Fostek or Marantz. You can find such with google.com

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Best MP3 Player for voice recording

Thank you for your quick response, but I need something I can pin to people's clothing so I can record them while they move around all day. A friend of mine in Hong Kong used an MP3 player for this, and had excellent results, but I can't find the product she used in the US.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Best MP3 Player for voice recording

Such a product may run into legal issues in the U.S. I offer this as friendly advice.

The iPod has a nice addon for voice recording. Try it.

Bob

Collapse -

One of the best multicodec recording hdrive players out right now is the IriverIhp 120 this player comes in many diffrent harddrive sizes like 10 gig, 20gig and more. The base price for this recorder is about 200 dollars on amazon.It can record up to 10 hrs of music and it comes w/ everything including the mic. I have 1 of these players and its the best quality and excellent sound quality i have ever had in an mp3 player.The player plays all kinds of formats and when you record you can choose the type of format you want and what kind of kbps it will record in. Also it has a 16hr battery life but it last close to two days when its on. there is to much to add so to find out more go to amazon or the website: www.iriver.com THIS PLAYER ROCKS! IF you have ne q's SEFRIESE@comcast.net

Collapse -
Voice recording for ursli

Hey V,

what's up with ursli? sounds like a mouldy breakfast.

Anyway, the iriver h-340 (and h-320 should be the same). Sorry, but it is expensive, definitely a lot more than $200. But c'mon, u'll be able to enjoy good music as well.

records voice at very very very good quality anywhere between 40 and 128 kbps and 44 KHz. Dunno how long it records for if u leave it alone, but if you want, i'm sure u could create a few files for each research session. Should be able to record for ages like that. If u want, let me know and i'll leave it recording for ages and see when it stops ( i won't really by the way).

It records in mp3. MAc compatability, errr....sorry, dunno.

Ok, i've just realised this message was dated 09/03, oh well. Won't be a complete waste if u at least say hi for my efforts.

Collapse -
Stealthy recorder

Vanessa, check out the Pogo line. They have several inexpensive choices that will more than meet your needs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.