Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Best method to clone/restore HD

by johna8119 / January 7, 2010 6:41 AM PST

I just got a new HP notebook computer with Win 7. The speakers don't word, and I'm told by HP that I'll have to send it back to HP to have it fixed. I've also been told that I should do a system recovery before this in order to make sure that it isn't some software/driver issue.
When I do the system recovery, I believe that I lose all the programs, data, etc. Rather than have to reinstall the 12-15 programs I've spent hours doing, what are my alternatives for returning the HD to its current state when I get it back?
I have a 1 Tb external drive that I can use for the contents of my c: drive.
I did do a couple of restores, and there was no change. I'm sure it's a hardware issue.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best method to clone/restore HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best method to clone/restore HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too late.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 6:50 AM PST

For a real solution. Any clone job would and may recreate your issue again.

Ok, let's clone that drive for free. Go get clonezilla, boot that and copy an image out to your USB drive. My 200GB took 3 hours so set some time aside for this.

Now the neat part is that it's a file on the USB drive so I can copy MY STUFF to said drive.

And don't fall for any MSFT backup software. I'm trying what 7 Pro has and it's still junk. You can get better.

And in closing. Make a disaster plan to be ready for when that USB drive fails after the machine comes back blank. DO YOU HAVE A BACKUP TO THAT USB DRIVE CONTENT? If not, then it's your only copy and let's all sing together the moderator's quote of the year.

We only lose what we didn't backup.

Ok Windows does not provide a way to BACKUP MY STUFF AND PROGRAMS or RESTORE MY STUFF AND PROGRAMS WITHOUT DISRUPTING AN INSTALLED OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Got a backup
by johna8119 / January 7, 2010 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: Too late.

All my data, docs, pics, music on the new notebook are copied from my desktop computer, which is well backed up itself. So I'm covered there.

My main desire is to save all the time involved in reinstalling and reactivating MS Office, Adobe stuff, etc., etc.

I'll look at clonezilla.

I agree that it would be nice if MS offered a method to reinstall the OS and programs.

Oh, well.

Collapse -
Clonezilla is a monster
by Razzl / February 23, 2010 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: Got a backup

I tried the suggested Clonezilla and the program is not for amateurs. Once your pc boots from the disc you've made it rolls through a scary sequence of difficult questions, and getting any one question wrong could hose your pc. You really need to be expert at using Linux, and I've had a lot of experience using Ubuntu and yet I found it scary. This program is for professionals, you don't even want to think about using it when a Microsoft image program is available...

Collapse -
This program is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 10:25 PM PST

Free and was easy to use. There are many choices out there, please suggest others so others have choices.

The Microsoft image program proved unreliable for me. Maybe they fixed it. Tell more!
Bob

Collapse -
Repair options
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 7, 2010 8:19 AM PST
Collapse -
System image!
by johna8119 / January 7, 2010 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: Repair options

Great link!

I didn't know I had that option within Win 7. I haven't explored the options, but I assume there is a fairly simple way to move the image from the backup location back to the HD?

Thanks for the input!

Collapse -
Be sure to test this system.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 10:01 PM PST
In reply to: System image!
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/675-system-image-recovery.html shows something MSFT didn't tell us. Be wary if the image is going back to a different drive.

And ask if MSFT has a way to EXPLORE the image in case you can't put it back onto the drive.

-> This is why you want to test this new tool and read what others are saying.

I'm sticking with Clonezilla.
Bob
Collapse -
another link
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 8, 2010 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: System image!
Collapse -
Took the leap
by johna8119 / January 8, 2010 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: another link

I restored the system once again, and the speakers still don't work. I did use the disk image utility inside Win 7, and imaged the entire drive onto my ext HD. So then I did the system recovery, as advised by HP. Still no speakers. (I should have mentioned before that the audio card does work as evidenced by the fact that I have sound in my headphones and external speakers.)

The computer goes back to HP next week. When it returns, I'll move the image back, and I'll pray that it works ok. And that the speakers don't quit again.

Thanks

Collapse -
hardware issue?
by rayluk / January 8, 2010 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: Took the leap

Your ext speaker and headset works. So could the problem be the onboard speakers?

Collapse -
drivers?
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 12, 2010 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: Took the leap
Collapse -
Did all the drivers
by johna8119 / January 12, 2010 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: drivers?

Yup. We updated all the drivers. Not a Windows problem. No question it's the hardware. Just sent it back to HP.

Collapse -
Cool
by Dango517 / January 8, 2010 5:55 PM PST
In reply to: another link

Not sure if it helped the originator of the post but it's information I certainly value.

Thank you

Collapse -
My work around for this is to ................
by Dango517 / January 8, 2010 6:40 PM PST

create a blog with all my routinely used program links on it. See my profile under home page, here:

http://www.cnet.com/profile/Dango517/?tag=rt-latest-inc-bg%3blatest-user-full-link

This way I can get to all of them quickly and easily. With a dual core processor you can download two at a time, halving the time it takes to download the software.

An additional advantage is, I can add them and delete them if I'm not using them routinely and this saves scanning time on defrags and malware.

I'd suggest you create a separate thread on this in the hardware forum and lets fix or identify that program. Have you checked event viewer for clues? My Compaq has something in it called "Health Analysis". Have you ran this program if you have it? It is found in the "PC dock" if you have that in your HP desktop.

Also check the menu on your monitor if that's where your speakers are.

This thread untracked

Collapse -
The onboard speakers are not working
by johna8119 / January 8, 2010 9:14 PM PST

The loss of sound became apparent when I was switching users on the computer. I didn't think I ever paid attention to the (occasionally annoying) Windows sounds, but when it was silent, but the screen showed the switch occurring, I started to troubleshoot.

I found that headphones worked, so that pointed me in the direction of the speakers. Then I disabled the speakers and found that the headphones no longer worked either. Reinstalled the drivers, and headphones again work, but no onboard sound. Called HP, and they had me do all this again with the same result. They had me do a system restore--same result.

You get the picture. At least I've been motivated to get a lot of good advice on the issue. I do feel more comfortable having a HD image available. We'll see how that workes when I get the machine back from HP.

I'm a bit surprised that a hardware failure occurred so soon after I got the computer, and without my spilling anything on it. Weep.

Collapse -
Problem resolved
by johna8119 / February 23, 2010 11:37 PM PST

Sorry I've taken so long to post this follow-up, but I wanted to be certain that everything is ok.

The computer went back to HP, and within ONE DAY the computer was on its way back. Out of service a total of 5 days. They found out that a chip on the speaker portion of the motherboard was defective, and they replaced it.

When the computer arrived back, I followed the instructions for restoring the HD from image backup, and, voila!, I was up and running. All the previously installed programs, including Adobe PS, MS Office, etc., worked perfectly.

All have continued to work well, and the speakers continue to function 4-5 weeks after the repair and image restore.

I would have to give the Win 7 image backup an A- for ease of use and functionality. The only reason for the minus is the intense anxiety experienced while waiting for the computer's return.

Thanks for the comments.

Collapse -
Happy it is working!
by TaraS_WinTeam / February 26, 2010 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: Problem resolved

So we get a A- based on your anxiety? Not fair(Just kidding)! I am glad everything worked out with your computer and the issue was resolved. Thank you for the update.

Cheers,
Tara

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?