HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Best memory upgrade option

by crd / March 20, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

I have a dell dimension 8200. Intel pentium4 cpu 1.8 ghz w/ 512 mb rdram. Which would be the better upgrade option? 1)2x256 (for $30) or 2)2x512 (for $130) memory upgrade

Thanks,

crd

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best memory upgrade option
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best memory upgrade option
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds a little high. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2008 12:54 PM PDT

for the two 512. Go to Curcial.com and input the PC specs.

Collapse -
Cost&benefits
by Willy / March 20, 2008 8:59 PM PDT

For XP OS, 1gb of ram is very practical. The Dell 8200(verify model#) can have 2gb total RDRAM. Yopu have 512mb now, if you add 2x256mb or 2x512mb will keep in the 2gb ram limit, so if up to you. Here is the Dell link: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8200/

Review specs and if they are yours, then proceed. FYI- RDRAM is old stuff and any cost benefit again is up to you. Prices for RDRAM won't go down much as Dell was a popular system, but I don't recall ever seeing 2x1gb RDRAM sticks, thus 512mb sticks are in demand more than any lesser mb sticks keeping price up.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
keeping price up
by caktus / March 21, 2008 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Cost&benefits

Haven't been shopping for RAM for quite a while But given high supply and demand, I would expect competition would cause a [demanding] down-swing in price.

Collapse -
(NT) RDRAM is no longer made, stocks only
by Willy / March 21, 2008 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: keeping price up
Collapse -
RAM
by phlashman / March 20, 2008 11:58 PM PDT

Name brands such as Kingston, Corair, Crucial and Ultra are among the top of the line. Personally 1GB of RAM for your machine would be plenty, depending of course on the applications you run every day. Check with your manufacturer to make sure what amount of RAM will max out your Mobo (motherboard). Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the more RAM the better. BTW, there are a lot of economy RAM sticks out there that are very good. Use the internet and shop around a bit, you can even find some of the "elite" brands I mentioned earlier at discount prices from time to time. I "wouldn't recommend buying any off Ebay. You have no idea what they've been put through, plus, they'll probably want a premium price and quite frankly you can buy brand new for as much if not less if you shop.

Collapse -
Just a Suggestion...
by Larry38 / March 21, 2008 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM

I just upgraded my Pavilion last week to 1GB of RAM. I first ordered 512MB to go with the 256MB that was installed, then decided to get another 512MB and replace the 256MB.

I ordered them from NewEgg for $21.00 each, the brand name was Patriot. So you might check out that site also. They have some good deals.

HTH
Larry

Collapse -
For the Dell Dimension 8200 512MBs RDRAM is $262.99
by VAPCMD / March 21, 2008 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a Suggestion...

and the memory modules must be installed in matched pairs. So a GB of RDRAM from Crucial would be over $500.00.

Don't think Newegg even sells RDRAM.

VAPCMD

PS..if buying in RDRAM ...eBay is a reasonable alternative if you're sure what you need.

Collapse -
Right on target!
by glenn30 / March 22, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

A family member has this Dell 8200 Series and the ram is very expensive. If you know of some at a reasonable price he will buy it. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
Dell Dimension 8200 Memory Upgrade
by bestmemoryupgrade / November 14, 2011 11:42 AM PST

Hi there,
I also have same Dell Dimension 8200. I upgraded mine to 2GB by buying 4x512MB. Obviously more ram is always better for computer in order to work efficiently.
Thanks

Collapse -
(NT) Probably too late...original post was 2008.
by VAPCMD / November 17, 2011 10:15 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.