Question

Best Mac OS for Mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro

Sep 22, 2018 4:49PM PDT

Hello,

My 6 year old Macbook Pro is still running the Mountain Lion it came with.
Below are specs:

Mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro
1680 x 1050 Display with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
750GB HDD

It a lot slower now due to the apps and garbage I have installed over the years.
So I am planning to backup all data, and install fresh OS.

Which OS version would you recommend which will still keep it running well for atleast next 2 years.
I mean the best compatible one with the hardware, without slowing down the machine too much.
I have installers for all the below which I downloaded offline over these years:

- Mountain Lion
- Mavericks
- Yosemite
- El Capitan
- Sierra/High Sierra

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Best Mac OS for Mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best Mac OS for Mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
My answer
Sep 24, 2018 10:37AM PDT

Is to run the latest that is supported. https://www.apple.com/lae/macos/how-to-upgrade/ seems to note you can go to High Sierra.

For our work (office/lab) we run the latest because that is where our clients are at so we follow the clients. We never worry about "MacOS x.y.x is the fastest." But some have that issue. They need to choose the version they need. As such this is just how we run our show, so your answer may differ.

- Collapse -
Answer
I have a 2012 iMac 2011 which struggles
Sep 24, 2018 3:23PM PDT

to provide adequate service when running High Sierra.
With Sierra it is fine.

While Apple say that both our machines can run the latest OS, I would take that with a pinch of salt.
Being able to run it and being able to enjoy running it are two different things.

Step up to El Capitan and that's all good, move up one.

Your Time Machine backup will allow you to restore to the previous OS should you find one that stretches you MBP too much.

Back up Back up Back up BEFORE starting on the upward journey
P

- Collapse -
Seems the 8GB RAM is a good start.
Sep 24, 2018 4:15PM PDT

Too bad they still have a HDD. I've been installing all SSDs now for some time.

CNET Forums

Forum Info