Cameras forum

General discussion

Best low light point and shoot

by rpandeya / June 21, 2010 3:25 AM PDT

I'm currently looking to by a new camera to replace the horrible one I have right now. I am a total amateur and don't know that much about cameras, though I am doing a lot of research to avoid buying another piece of junk (Olympus FE-46). I take a lot of pictures at shows/concerts so it's very important for me to have a camera that does well in low light, and that can shoot HD quality video.

So far, the best suggestions I've gotten are the Canon PowerShot SX200 IS, Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR, and Nikon Coolpix S6000. I was just curious if anyone had any opinions on which is the best of the three or any other suggestions before I make a final decision here.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best low light point and shoot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best low light point and shoot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Low Light point and shoot
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 21, 2010 6:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: Best low light point and shoot
by MarkatNite / June 21, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

Strictly speaking, none of the cams you listed qualify as "Best low light point and shoot". At the moment that title would probably go to either the Canon S90 or Samsung TL500, as they both have larger sensors and larger max apertures than all of the cameras you listed. However, neither of these does HD video. So you have three (and a half) choices:

1) Live with lesser low light capability in exchange for HD video capability. (i.e. any of the cams you listed.)

2) Live without HD video in exchange for better low light capability. (S90 or TL500)

3) Live without ~$500 *more* dollars than you currently budgeted for and buy a Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm f1.7 "pancake" lens (which will give you better low light performance and HD video--well, AVCHD Lite 720p HD, but the cams you listed also top out @ 720p).

3.5) Wait for Pany to announce the LX4 (which is rumored to be soon-ish) and hope that it has low light performance similar to the S90 and TL500 but with the addition of HD video capability.

Mark

P.S. I actually bought a TL500 recently and went to a show with both it and my GH1 (similar to GF1) + 20mm "pancake" lens. If you'd like to see some comparison pics, let me know.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!