Cameras forum

Tip

Best low-fle size camera to buy?

by Dev9434 / February 19, 2014 9:02 AM PST

I am developing a program that includes image processing, and I need low-file size pictures that I can take outside of my house.
A phone with a cheap built-in camera could do, or a handheld camera, I just need the lowest file size possible with comprehensible quality.
I need a color camera with the following:
- can take snapshots
-can take video w/audio
-USB Windows compatible
-Power-plug
I want the file size for the images to be very small.
I was wanting to get single pictures under 1 MB, maybe under 100KB if possible, and video clips that last a few seconds to be at least the lowest file size is possible.

I am not going to wave the device around, so it wont blurr badly and madly.
I dont want a webcam.
I just need help picking which one, and I would like for the price to be cheap.
Do have any recommendations, like on Amazon, or Ebay or somewhere else online?
-Thanks....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best low-fle size camera to buy?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best low-fle size camera to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd but doable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 9:07 AM PST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLE so when you use a new acronym, please define it.

I'm using a Canon a1300 with an EyeFi to auto upload images then my code processes these with various imgtools, Image Magick and then the Tesseract OCT package so my bet is that this will do just fine.

USB to me means WEB CAM. OK, why not a WEB CAM and then use the usual capture code in Visual Studio apps?

Remember I'm taking it that you are a seasoned Windows programmer. Also, strange restriction on the web cam. It falls neatly into your spec.
Bob
Collapse -
Re-Odd ut doable.
by Dev9434 / February 20, 2014 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Odd but doable.
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLE so when you use a new acronym, please define it."
Actually fle was just a unintentional typo, I mean to actually say file .
But if you want a definition of Fle anyway, it could stand for Focused Lens Environment aka a working camera that can take good pictures.

"I'm using a Canon a1300"

What file size on each picture are you getting with the lowest settings? I am just looking for something that has very low file size with each picture.

"USB to me means WEB CAM. OK, why not a WEB CAM and then use the usual capture code in Visual Studio apps"
I already have a webcam and because I am not programming with Visual Studio. I want to have a cheap camera that can take low-file sized pictures. I want the camera to have a usb cable so I can connect it to my computer and take the image and feed it into the program. I want to take hundreds of pictures outside of my room( and other parts of my room that my webcam cannot view) for analyzing with the program/modules that I am going to be experimenting with it, so I want the file sizes on each to be as low as possible, but still comprehensible/viewable.

"Remember I'm taking it that you are a seasoned Windows programmer. Also, strange restriction on the web cam. It falls neatly into your spec."
Not exactly. I am sort of a beginner although I have been into pseduo-code for a while. My spec does not have strange restrictions. I am going to code my webcam with the program I am going to develop, but I wanted to have other kinds of pictures to analyze. Just other stuff that my webcam cannot record that is out of its range(outside/etc). Cool
Collapse -
New term to me (FLE)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re-Odd ut doable.

I have been doing electronic and camera designs for close to 2 decades and always have to be careful when I toss out new acronyms. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just a second. And keep in mind it's been replaced by the a1400.
I set it to 640x480 and took a nearly all white image (JPEG as you know is variable size) and the image was 54KB.

As to USB link. Sorry but I used the EyeFi as the link. Take a picture and it auto transfers to the PC. I can also roam with the camera and when I get back the images load up. Really neat solution to what we wanted to do.

Yes your app has strange restrictions. That's why we write these custom apps. To meet our needs.

Hope this helps and if you are in the SoCal area, drop me a line if there's money to be made!
Bob

Collapse -
Let's agree to ignore the "best' trap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 7:11 AM PST

Anytime your engineering friends ask for the "best' they may be setting you up for a few years of studies. I won't entertain or enter that trap but will share something we are doing at the office that looks close and you can decide how close it gets.

If you have a typo, be sure to correct such fast with a reply so you get an answer that is not a question.

In closing, it sounds like any old camera will do. Almost all have quality settings or can reduce the pixel count that drives the file size down.
Bob

Collapse -
---
by Dev9434 / February 21, 2014 9:17 AM PST

Well, thanks for your help.
I will admit that my spec/program that I am going to be building does have strange restrictions, but for good reason.
And in my second response the title was,"Re-Odd ut doable." and I meant to actually write,"Re-Odd but doable.
Thank you, have a good day/night.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?