General discussion

Best linux distribution for a novice intending to be more...

I know this question has been asked five million times over, but I would like a suggestion that's a bit more precise. I am pretty much a beginner with Linux (I have dabbled with it in the past), but I want to give myself a challenge so I can educate myself with the inner workings of Linux. I would like to have suggestions for Linux distributions with the following critieria:

- It is well-maintained in terms of upgrades, security fixes, etc.
- Preferrably free
- It is not intended for novices. I want to actually set up a system rather than have a setup program to automatically do it all for me. Or at least have an option to do so.
- Has somewhat good device support

Any advice would be greatly appreicated. Happy

- Jay

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Best linux distribution for a novice intending to be more...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best linux distribution for a novice intending to be more...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
re: Best linux distribution for a novice intending to be mor
- Collapse -
You can spell

What I mean, imkookoo is, you spelled out Gentoo. Although I have not tried it, I know it's not for novices and when set-up properly can perform in the "extreme." I think you're idea is great. If you really want to know linux inside out, you shouldn't take the easy route. Mabey after Gentoo you can even try to create your own distribution with Linux From Scratch. Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info