Linux forum

General discussion

best linux distribution

Hi
I just wondering what is the best linux distribution for a linux newbie like me?? i have try install fedora core 2 but it drive me crazy though with the rpm installation..
So could anyone suggest simple distribution for a windows user like me..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best linux distribution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best linux distribution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: best linux distribution

In reply to: best linux distribution

Try KNOPPIX. Zero install, just boot the CD and use it.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: best linux distribution

My first suggestion to anyone migrating to Linux is to visit LinuxISO.org and check out the various distro home pages and forums.

Since you asked an opinion though, I will offer mine. I currently use Slackware 10, Fedora Core 2, SUSE 9.1 pro, and even have Damn Small Linux installed and working well on an old machine. I won't go so far as to say any one of these are better than the other, I think each has its own pros and cons. I have also experimented with Mandrake 10 (many say this is the most "Windows Like") and Libranet. IMHO SUSE was the easiest to install, did the best job of recognizing my hardware and is easy to keep updated. http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2 has both the SUSE live eval and personal edition for download. As Robert suggested, give the live eval a try, that way you can get a feel for the distro and will be able to see what hardware is detected, then if you like it install the personal edition.

Hope this helps some, and whatever disro you choose, have fun - Gary.

Collapse -
You seem to know quite a bit about running Linux,

I would be new to Linux if I am to purchase the OS, I am tired of the limits imposed by Windows XP and really have found I would not gain much by going to Vista. I had a new computer built with 4GB of memory and it has never run like it should as the XP pro will only utilize just under 3GB (2944) total, I have been told that Vista would utilize the full amount of memory and would operate easier but that to run Vista I would loose about 1GB to that OS. I have been looking at going to Linux but I do not know how to install or if it would have any issues with the memory or other Hardware in my PC. I probably could do the install myself with the correct instructions and I know it would be a lot less costly than buying a New version of Windows but I need to know that Linux would not have the Limits in Memory utilized like Windows does. I have not found anyone locally that knows anything about Linux or how to set it up or even how it uses the current hardware in a PC. Gary

Collapse -
it's actually free

In reply to: You seem to know quite a bit about running Linux,

Almost all Linux distros (OSes) are free.
And you don't need someone local to help you. Go to a site like linuxquestions.org or ubuntuforums.org or whatever is specific to the one you get. It's easy to install as long as you're not worried about offending people with stupid questions.
I think you (and all newbies) should get Fedora or Ubuntu. With 64-bit, I believe that both will use 4gb of RAM.
Also, Vista doesn't just waste that extra 1gb of RAM, it puts it to questionably OK use. In other words, its not worth the money, but is better than XP on a 4gb RAM machine.

Collapse -

I agree with RP... if you are new to Linux and are having difficulty with package systems (RPM) then Knoppix is the way to go.

All of the most popular Linux distros are based on RPM (Red Hat, Fedora Core, SuSE, Mandrake).

There is also Debian and Gentoo which are not based on RPMs but have their own packaging systems. Debian and Gentoo are very very good but are not usually recommended for newbies because it requires a pretty good understanding of Linux and the command line tools.

What problem(s) were you having with RPM? For all of the RPM based distros there are tools both GUI and CLI for making life much easier. Easier even than Windows installers.

-DU-...etc...

Collapse -

I guess I'm asking this question more to satisfy my own curiosity than anything else. I've seen Mr. Proffitt and now Mr Utidjian (both of whom's opinions I respect) recommend using Knoppix. I have used Knoppix on several occasions as a tool, and will say it detects hardware no other distro (that I have tried anyway) detects without some tweaking. I'm curious though, are you suggesting using knoppix as a live eval only? If so, is there a way to save documents and settings that I am unaware of? Or are you suggesting installing to the hard drive? I know this can be done, I haven't tried it myself, but have read the instructions and they seem fairly straight forward for someone with a bit of Linux know-how. I guess I'm asking if I am missing something, because I really do like Knoppix, but find running it from the cd too limited for a full time distro.

Collapse -
I can use KNOPPIX ....

And save files, configurations and more. In fact, the pack and go nature of this OS is evident with a CD and USB memory key...

With all due respect (GRB), it does this just fine and shows that you need to read more about Knoppix. Since it's on CD, I never worry about the OS becoming corrupt. I did read how to install to the hard disk, but that would negate one of its best features.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I can use KNOPPIX ....

In reply to: I can use KNOPPIX ....

Thank you very much Mr. Proffitt. I have always used Knoppix as a tool and never considered using it as a full time distro. I will read up more on Knoppix.

Collapse -

I'd like to say I've used Knoppix and it was ok, but when installed to the hd does not perform the same nor does it detect hardware as well. I now use Xandros free circulation, a debian o/s with kde desktop and it is the best of all of them for detection of hardware except for Linspire, but Xandros is free. Everyone makes a big deal of installing debian but Xandros and Linspire are hassle free. I'm sure you'll like either.
That's my two cents,
Ted

Collapse -
There are many great ones but id recomend...

Id recomend Ubuntu (ubuntulinux.com). You can get them to ship it to you for free. (Remember that rich dude that went into space for 20$ million in 2002 or so? Well, he made ubuntu.) It has a live cd and an install cd.

Collapse -

Some knowledge about Linux packages, package installation and GNU tar balls is mandatory for all Linux distributions: I haven?t seen analog of Windows installer in Linux. Moreover, different Linuxes have different packaging systems.
RPM based Linux family is very wide and most popular members are: Fedora, RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, ASPLinux.
Another branch is based on Debian packaging system: Debian, Libranet, Knoppix, Morphix.
List of available distributions is presented on: http://www.linux.org/dist/list.html.
Start studying with Morphix ? you don?t need installation at all. Boot from CD and work.

Collapse -

By far the easiest installation for Linux is Mandrake 10.0.2, simply download the three free cd's. Put #1 CD in your CD Rom and reboot to the CD. After a few very simple questions, sit back and the rest is automatic and painless. I have tried most all of the other versions and Mandrake is the best. Have fun!!

Collapse -

There's no best distribution in the Linux World. Each distribution has its own advantage over others.

If you a newbie, I recommend Mandrake 10. The installations is very easy and the user interface is much more clean and pratical than Windows.

RPMs installation is easier than other distributions.

Using Linux is a learn-and-try experience so my advice is to look for tutorials and how tos on Linux specialized sites.

Good Luck,
Josir Gomes

Collapse -

I am not a linux expert either. For that reason I really like SuSE. I have found the installations have been as easy as can be expected for Linux - usually that means no trouble. I have found the installation and update tool Yast to be usually helpfull and easy to use. I would definitely recommend SuSE to a beginner. Cheers!

Collapse -

Hi, I've tried all flavours of Linux on different hardware platforms. My current favourite is Lindows OS. Got a free distro on a magazine at a Market and now have the Full Product. I've got it running on an old PC on my network, it provides the "Music On Hold" for the phone system and monitors traffic on the network. It's been running 24/7 for the last 8 months with no problems. You can also set it to auto-update just like windows.

Collapse -

I'm also a Linux newbie and found SUSE Professional 9.0 to be straight forward and easy to understand. It comes with two manuals, will automatically resize and partition your hard disk and set up a dual boot to preserve your windows system.

John

Collapse -

It depends on what you want to use it for, if you want to learn to run a server then try SuSe professional version (don't waste time with the personal version of SuSe it's worthless). If you are looking for a desktop version then I would recommend Lycoris Linux it states it was designed for the desktop and is based upon the Debian distribution of Linux.
Over all I would go to Linux.org,tldp.org (The Linux Documentation Project.org),or isolinux.org and see all the different distributions and try again

Collapse -

Try Knoppix. It is live,a "full" Linux on CD. Boot from CD and Linux, reboot and MS again.

Collapse -

I have used and like suse in the past but i presentaly use XANDROS 2.0(free version}. It works great with my wireless pci card and is very easy to use. check them out I think you will like them.

Collapse -

i had a copy of lindows (now known as linspire) for several months, and installed it just last week. it was a breeze! i was surfing the web with netscape in under an hour. i have a windows XP home network (with a printer off one of the XP PCs), and connecting to the printer from linspire was so simple, i was hooked. but only for a while.....

to 'swap' from windows XP to linspire, i needed to have office (open office would do, i guess), a browser, and a chat applet. i have used MSN Chat for too long to switch, so i searched and found that 'everybuddy' would do the trick (it supports icq, aol and msn). that was when it all became unstuck. i could not install everybuddy. sure i could have paid linspire US$50 for an annual subscription (on top of the purchase price of my linspire cd) for a Click-N-Run feature, but i decided it was unfair (okay, i am a cheapskate!) so i didn't.

trying to install everybuddy outside of Click-N-Run became so hard i gave up after 20 hours of trying.

i've gone back to windows XP.

i WANT linux. i so WANT to drop windows. so who is going to give me the 'ideal' linux distro tip? (include everybuddy, mozilla and open office!)

thanks,
s_kris88

Collapse -
Have you tried Gaim?

It is supposedly compatible with MSN. I use it to log onto my AIM account and it works great (never tried it with MSN). I have no experience with Linspire (or Everybuddy) so I don't know if it is possible to download Gaim and install it onto Linspire, but my uninformed reasoning says it should be. As far as other distros go, all of the ones I have tried (SUSE 9.1 pro, Mandrake 10, Slackware 10, Fedora Core 2, and Knoppix 3.4 all come with, (or are capable of running) Mozilla, Open Office, and Gaim (as well as several other instant messanger programs). http://www.desktoplinux.com/directory/Application_software/Instant_messaging/

is a list that you may find helpful. Good Luck - Gary

Collapse -

hi, i was a noob to linux not too long ago. Ive tried about a dozen distributions. heres the deal. Suse linux is by far the best looking disrtibution. If you have broadband it can be download at no cost. if you want more options and not limited to certain packages that suse gives you (like desktops such as gnome and kde), you might want to give a shot to fedora core or mandrake linux which are both free. I'm presently using fedora core 2 (unoffially redhat's), and I feel satisfied. but the reason you couldn't install everybuddy was probably because of the retarted options you have to type for some things to install through the console (as root).like to install "rpm's", special installation packages, you have to type "rpm -Uvh" then the addresse of the file. see. stupid huh. I dont know about lindows but my SuSE and fedora core both came pre-installed with a good chat manager.

Collapse -

If you haven't settled on a Linux distro yet try SimplyMEPIS. It can be run from a Live CD or installed on your hard drive (faster on the hard drive due to access time). It's fast easy and detected all my hardware. I've used Suse, Gentoo and Xandros and find this to be the best and easiest Linux distribution. If you want to read about it, check out this article: (www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT315712364.html). After I read the article I tried it and haven't looked back.
You can check out SimplyMEPIS at www.mepis.org

Collapse -
try gaim

gaim is another open source instant messaging application you could try. works with yahoo, aim, irc, msn, and some others. gaim.sourceforge.net

Collapse -

Fedora Core 2 is just about as simple as it gets. The only rpm you should install for Fedore are those designated for Fedora Core 2. Other rpm's that are not compiled for that distribution will cause problems. The only things simpler are SLAX or Knoppix. They are cd boot only and do not touch your windows system, leaving it intact. But, you cannot install additional software on them. What you get on the cd is what you can run.

Collapse -

Hi "haloo",
I am afraid that there is no simple answer to your question, having tried several systems, including Knoppix, Debian, Red Hat, Fedora, Lycoris, Mandrake. They all have pros and cons.
The simplest distro and easiest to operate in my not always humble opinion would be Xandros desktop. Even the basic version (came "free" with a magazine CD) immediately found all my hardware, even my "mass storage device". and enabled me to go on line within minutes. Its main drawback is the miniscule font in say its Newsticker, Ximian e-mail, and Mozilla.
Cheers
"septus"

Collapse -

It depends on whether your computer is relatively new,with a hard drive 40 GB or over or an older one under 40 GB. If your over 30 GB, your file system is probably NTFS, in which case I'd recomment either Suse 9.1 Personal (downloadable for free without tech support or for $29.95 with tech support, you also buy the pay version in most electronic or computer stores on a CD) or Suse 9.1 Pro for I believe $89.95. I use their personal version, because I don't feel the Pro is worth the extra bucks for what it gives extra. By the way, they do have a new Suse 9.2 coming out in about a month or less, so you might want to wait for that, though the improvements over 9.1 will be minimal. Suse also offers a free version of 9.1 personal that is bootable from your CD drive and allows you to try and see if you like it first before you install it to your hard drive. Their installation (which includes automatic partitioning of yur hard drive so you can run both Suse and Windows on the same computer)is the easist installation I've ever seen. Now if your computer is older or simply has a hard drive 30 GB or under, Suse is still a good choice, but there 's also another one that is free, offers everything Suse offers and more, uses much less memory, and is totally bootable from a CD and it's called Dynebolic. Unfortunately, Dynebolic only is supported on FAT 32 file systems and therefore won't run on any non-partitioned hard drive over 30 GB. Suse is available online at www.suse.com and Dynebolic is at www.dynebolic.org. Dynebolic's content advantage over Suse's, is that it is geared toward people like me, who like to do a lot of audio mixing and video editing and it has included several video editing and audio mixing programs that Suse doesn't offer.

Collapse -

Take on slackware... you can do it... it is easy to get installed and everything that CAN work WILL work the first time you configure it.... It is a challenge, but it is better than the other distros... the other distros attract you with eye-candy... slackware attracts you with smartness and SLACK!!!!

Collapse -

Hi,
Redhat enterprise Linux is.

Collapse -

I will stick my 2 cents in and say, I think Xandros is the best for newbies like myself. I've trie a lot of them and Xandros does it all for you. Its one cd and then a lot of updating.but you don't need to worry about downloading extra programs. the update will install for you. skip

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.