Cameras forum

General discussion

Best line/ worst line of cameras? Also, 4MP vs 5MP?

by hfguide / September 18, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

Well, I'm finally deciding to take the plunge and go digital.

I've done my research about the technical stuff. The problem is, learning about all the techie stuff hasn't exactly helped me decide which brand to go with, so I just feel overwhelmed when looking at all of them. I have no idea how to narrow down my search brand-wise, whether to go Canon or Kodak or Minolta or what have you.

What are, in everyone's opinion, the best or the worst line of digital cameras? Meaning, those brands where you wouldn't think twice about looking at in purchasing cameras, as opposed to the ones where you're, like, "Yuck-- forget it."

Or is there no such thing? (In other words, all are good in some ways, but some are better at doing certain things than other brands, and it *depends* which ones are good or not, based on what you want out of a camera?)

One last question... What's the largest-sized, good quality print I could get with a 4MP camera? I'm asking this, because I'm wavering between getting a 4MP or 5MP camera. I'm getting the camera as a hobby; however, I'd also like to use it for family events and such. 4X7 is good, but I'd like to be able to print a little larger *just in case.*

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best line/ worst line of cameras? Also, 4MP vs 5MP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best line/ worst line of cameras? Also, 4MP vs 5MP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The worst list grows daily.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 1:05 AM PDT

But you can find them aplenty on ebay with all thos no-names. Let's just call these "toy cameras" and stick with the names you've seen for years when you go shopping.

Bob

PS. There was a recent post about megapixels which answered that quite well.

Collapse -
Okay, thx! :-)
by hfguide / September 18, 2005 9:54 PM PDT

eom

Collapse -
Here's a good place
by mrobzo / September 18, 2005 6:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for that helpful link! I've bookmarked it!
by hfguide / September 18, 2005 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's a good place

eom

Collapse -
Best and Worst
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 18, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

As long as you stick with the bigger names in the camera world, there is no Best or Worst company.

If you talk about individual cameras, there are some ups and downs within each company.

When looking at the results of the average person taking family photos and vacation shots, I think the digital camera is producing better photos that the film cameras ever did. Automatic white balance is one of the big factors in producing good colors with digital cameras.

I never saw a Polaroid photo that I thought was good.

As far as 4 or 5 megapixels ...... go with the 5 megapixels.
It is now considered the standard by many.
However either 4 or 5 megapixels will produce a very good 8 x 10 inch print.

Collapse -
Thank you so much, especially the bit about *white balance!*
by hfguide / September 18, 2005 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Best and Worst

This was very helpful and exactly what I needed. I'll definitely go with a 5MP now and stick to the *bigger names.*

Thanks once again. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!