Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Best library/tech for web application

I'm looking to replicate the functionality of an existing job management application l developed in MFC a few years back - but as a web app, so that I can use it on a tablet when out of the office.

In terms of layout, it's a little bit like Outlook, so it has a folder list on the left, a multi-column list view in the middle, and a detail view of the selected list element on the right. It also has lots of dialog boxes with forms to create/customise jobs as necessary, and so uses text edit boxes, combo boxes, radio buttons and tabs. Also right-click context menus.

The back-end I think I'm fine with, but I'm looking for some advice on what approach to take for doing the app interface and form entry...
I don't necessary want to replicate everything as-is and make it look identical to the MFC app, as I appreciate there may be better ways to work with the data when using a tablet.

I made a start and have been using PHP to pull things in/out of the database using javascript and data as JSON - and using XMLHttpRequest to get the info and populate the page. However I'm a feeling there's an easier way to work with the GUI parts as I seem to be doing a lot of things manually. Perhaps a new tool, or a library?
I was reading up on Google Polymer, looking at Sencha libraries - but frankly confused so there are so many libraries and methods out there.
Thanks for anyone who can point me in the right direction for libraries/tools etc.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best library/tech for web application
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best library/tech for web application
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
All good but that would mean a re-write and redesign.

In reply to: Best library/tech for web application

Did you try something like Instant CloudMove Solution?
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: All good but that would mean a re-write and redesign.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I'm happy with a re-write and level of redesign... I think I'd rather do that then use an automated tool route.
Are there any tools/libraries you'd recommend if you were developing something like this from scratch?

Collapse -
Sorry no.

In reply to: Thanks

While we did use some LAMP or WAMP to host the backend the work was in Visual Studio about 99.99% Over the years we moved away from libraries for many reasons.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Take a look at a framework

In reply to: Best library/tech for web application

called Laravel, which is a PHP framework. It's pretty new, but the entry barrier / learning curve is pretty low if you're familiar with object-oriented programming.

~Sovereign

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.