Laptops forum

Question

BEST LAPTOP WARRANTY

by 2011chrystyna / September 1, 2011 3:40 AM PDT
Which company offers the best customer service if and when something goes wrong within the warranty period? I am referring to a laptop. After all, you can have the finest laptop but if you do not get good service from the manufacturer, who cares! Please advise
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: BEST LAPTOP WARRANTY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: BEST LAPTOP WARRANTY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For now that's Apple Care.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: BEST LAPTOP WARRANTY

If you are a klutz you may want to add even more protection for water or accidents.
Bob

Collapse -
I read an article today that said
by orlbuckeye / December 9, 2013 2:54 AM PST

Google and Apple are the worst ADC (accidental damage coverage policies) because they don't have them. Even Costso has offers ADC for their laptops sold.

Collapse -
I thought I added that detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2013 8:01 AM PST

For now, many makers only warrant their product. The concept of ADC and water damage is pretty new and will cost.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Now that is a trick question because
by orlbuckeye / September 1, 2011 9:30 PM PDT

the company with the best warrantry may not have the best customer service. Asus has the best warranty as they offer on most models a 2 year factory warranty and 1 year accidental damage warranty(Being a klutz type damage). What I've read is Apple is near the top on most customer service evaluations from the major publications.

Collapse -
Answer
Well even better you want the
by orlbuckeye / September 1, 2011 9:32 PM PDT

best built laptop so you never had to use customer servcie. If you have that situation customer service will not matter.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: customer service
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 9:42 PM PDT

We find it to be rather dependent on the country you live in, the shop you buy it and what you buy also.

For example, my local computershop specializes in MSI-laptops and they do repairs on them themselves. If they can, that beats any manufacturer offered service. When my Siemens-Fujitsu laptop had a problem (during warranty) I brought it back to the shop, they sent it to the a repair center and it took 5 weeks before I had it back.
With Dell, for example, you can order (and pay for!) a 3-year 24-hours on site repair service. But you also choose (cheaper!) the 1-year bring-in warranty.

Kees

Collapse -
Dell
by techinsit / November 29, 2013 5:08 PM PST
In reply to: Re: customer service

Dell is Best Laptop warranty in the world.

Collapse -
Answer
laptop warranty and customer service
by 2011chrystyna / September 2, 2011 5:37 AM PDT

You are 100% correct! When I asked about the best warranty I really should have said "warranty customer service". I have asked a number of people who actually repair things said that both Lenovo and Toshiba have great customer service as opposed to terrible service from HP (gee, imagine that they are shutting done the home computer department - wonder why).

Collapse -
WHAT?!!!! Toshiba is #2 worst!
by sprinkman669 / November 21, 2013 3:15 AM PST

I have bout Toshiba, HP, Gateway and Dell. Dell's support is by far the worst. Toshiba falls in a close 2nd worst! I bought a Toshiba S55-A5292 on Oct 23, 2013. Two days ago (11/19/13) the hard drive went out. I took it into Office Depot where I bought it from and they said it was the hard drive and that I have to turn it into the warranty place. The performance protection plan service said that since it is still covered under warranty from Toshiba that I had to talk to them about it. I contacted Toshiba and got the ball running with that. I went through 5 calls with them hanging up on me once, put on hold twice (once for over 20 min before hanging up and calling them back again) and then being told that I have to give them a call in one hour because everything was working accept for sending me an email with the product return procedures. Here is another customer with the exact same issues (http://forums.cnet.com/7723-21579_102-190683/unacceptable-toshiba-warranty-repair-services-support/). Now Toshiba says that I have to pay $28 to have the laptop shipped back and have the repair work done. What a crock!!!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Costco provides a 2 year warranty
by orlbuckeye / December 2, 2013 9:34 PM PST

for ALL their electronics they sell. Most manufacturers are 1 year and they offer extended warranties for a fee.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!