General discussion

Best laptop for multiple OSs (Apple or otherwise?)

Hey everyone, I'm on the market for a new laptop, and I have some questions. I've used Windows all my life, but have recently been installing and experimenting with some Linux distributions, as well as my friends' OSX. I was wondering how well do Apple laptops handle Windows 7 and Linux, and reversely, how well do non-Apple laptops handle OSX. I do intend to have multiple OSs installed, for maximum versatility, even if I end up using one over the others in regular usage.
Also, just how legal is it to install OSX on a non-Apple PC?

For the record, I'm leaning towards a Lenovo T420s or a 13' Macbook Pro.

Cheers

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Best laptop for multiple OSs (Apple or otherwise?)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best laptop for multiple OSs (Apple or otherwise?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
For the record ...

it's NOT legal to install an Apple OS on a non-Apple machine. So if you want to have it in your mix of OS'es, you're limited to buying an Apple machine.

Kees

- Collapse -
A seal for the record.

It is not legal to use the Apple OS on non apple machines. These forums follow up by locking or removing any such discussion. If that needs to be discussed, there are forums that do that.

If you want to do what you say, the Apple machines are the answer.
Bob

- Collapse -
The easiest way to test alternative

Operating Systems is to run a virtual machine. Oracle has a product virtualbox that is free to downlad and install. Most Linux system are available as free downloads and can be install in Oracle Virtualbox. Each OS has it's own licensing agreement so you have to look into that to look at if it's legal to install.

CNET Forums