HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Best laptop for graphics applications?

by k-leigh / March 19, 2007 7:02 AM PDT

I know software but little about hardware. I do a LOT of graphics (advertising, brochures, photo work) so I tend to have several graphics programs going at once and spend a lot of time online (no gaming at all though). My old Presario 2500 just isn't cutting it at all.....colors are off and system is MUCH too slow....the crashes are too frustrating. This thing almost went thru the window sooooooo many times!

I need something affordable (no $2,500 system please) but I need to be portable while I do my job. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best laptop for graphics applications?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best laptop for graphics applications?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch, another Pentium 4 laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

"the Intel

Collapse -
Color and viewing issues?
by k-leigh / March 19, 2007 8:38 AM PDT

OK, so that may reduce crashes, but what about speed? This one is 2.66 Ghz.

More importantly, I need true WYSIWYG. With this Presario, the colors change depending on the viewing angle, but the colors are NEVER true. It's not a printer issue....that's been tested. I've been told that I need dedicated video memory. Is this true?

Is Vista a poor choice for my needs? If so, why?

Sorry, I don't mean to be naive but I haven't upgraded in years (this is a 2002 machine) because of all the info I have here, but it's time I do something about it.

Collapse -
Get a Mac
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / March 20, 2007 10:45 AM PDT

I regret to say this, but for graphics, Mac is the leader...

I personnaly hate Mac computers. The OS is simply too complicated ... But this is a question of tastes ...

You need dedicated VRAM, yes, but you need before everything a good display with a high resolution. Getting a 15.4" with the maximum resolution you can get will be nice.

XP should be a better choice than Vista for this kind of tasks, but getting Vista is better for the future. Vista is heavier to manage than XP and this can affect performances. Also graphics drivers aren`t the best on Vista.

So, for a good configuration, you should look at a Core Duo/Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM and an ATi Mobility Radeon X1400 or higher ( nVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 ).

Collapse -
Sure...
by steve749 / March 19, 2007 9:37 AM PDT

Get a Mac. That's my suggestion and those at an Apple store can likely help you find something within your budget for your needs.

Regards,
JB

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.