Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Best image editor for a begginer?

by iluvmoo / October 22, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

I want an image editor for christmas and at first I though i would just ask for photsop since that is all I really know about. Although i have used it before and it was pretty complicated. I just want it to play around and maybe for some projects. I enjoy photography and playing around with picures. So nothing really fancy but something that is advanced enough that it will still be good when i become more accostomed to it. Although if photoshop is fairly easy to get used to with perhaps the (i think adboe has free online courses and stuff) or just totorials then photoshop it is.

So does any one know a good peice of software that is about $400 USD or less?

thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best image editor for a begginer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best image editor for a begginer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Photoshop Elements
by Schleppguy / October 23, 2007 3:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Easy Photo Editors
by mwooge / November 2, 2007 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Try Photoshop Elements

Hope this doesn't confuse things, but when you have some idea what you want try getting a used copy through ebay or Amazon.

I have Paintshop Pro versions 9 and 5. Mostly I use version 5.

Collapse -
Photoshop Elements
by wbowblis / November 5, 2007 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Try Photoshop Elements

You can download a demo version and I'd strongly suggest doing that. I found Photoshop Elements to be quite different from Photoshop.

Collapse -
Digital Image 2006
by mopscare42 / October 23, 2007 1:32 PM PDT

I started out with Microsoft Digital Image 2006 and it works great and is not complicated at all. It is very easy to get around in.
It comes with a very good instruction manual unlike a lot of other programs.
I also have Photoshop Elements 5.0 and use them both about the same.
I do find that the Digital Image program is a little easier to use but gives excellent results.
I think I paid $59.00 at staples in 2006 so it maybe the 2007 version by now.
It is also Vista compatable.

Collapse -
by dbays / November 2, 2007 8:29 AM PDT

Save yourself a bundle and try PhotoFiltre. It is the most intuitive, user friendly, full featured editor available. The FREE version has everything but layers and .8bf filter plugin capability, but has a significant number of it's own. The recently released "PhotoFiltre Studio" incorporates the two missing options and sells for about $40.
I have various versions of PhotoShop, Corel PaintShop Pro, and numerous other excellent editors, but none with the speed, efficiency, and lack of bulk posessed by PhotoFiltre(latest version 6.2.7) It doesn't appear that you plan to use layers, but you could install the Free version and always upgrade to the commercial version later.
Try it. You'll like it. It also has loads of useful plug-ins you won't find elsewhere. Also available for FREE, so bookmark the site. Here's the link to the Downloads page .
http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm

Collapse -
by dlsears / November 2, 2007 3:01 PM PDT

I agree with this recommendation. Photofiltre is terrific and it's free. Why spend US$100 for Photoshop Elements, an excellent program but far too expensive for my tastes, when there are dozens of free and much cheaper basic image editing programs out there?

Check out the possibilities at nonags.com and filehippo.com and downloads.com.

If you have a scanner, you probably got an image editor bundled with the machine. Use that until you decide what you want and need in an image editor.

Collapse -
use GIMPShop
by Philip Hatfield / November 2, 2007 11:05 AM PDT

try using gimpshop. it's easier to use than the normal GIMP and has lots of functionality. and best of all, it's FREE! it has various levels, selections, blur, distort, and filter options.

Collapse -
i disagree
by froasier / March 20, 2008 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: use GIMPShop

I also figured thus, but GIMPshop is poorly executed and very buggy. When I switched to regular GIMP it was much sleeker, smoother, stabler, and no harder to use. I recommend GIMP all the way. It's almost as powerful as Photoshop overall, and better in some ways.

Collapse -
Paint Shop Pro Photo X2
by rbsjrx / November 2, 2007 11:47 AM PDT

I've been using PSP since the Jasc days. Although I'm not totally happy with its evolution since Corel bought Jasc, it's still my primary tool. It costs about the same as Photoshop Elements (which I also have), but just seems a better overall package.

Perhaps that's because Corel is using it to compete with both Photoshop versions, whereas Adobe is careful to differentiate Elements from full-blown Photoshop. For example, PSP is compatible with a number of Photoshop plugins. Adobe, OTOH, would tell you that if you want that, you should upgrade from Elements to Photoshop.

Of course, for me, there's also the familiarity factor. When I bought my first copy of PSP, Photoshop Elements was still a few years away. By now, my neural pathways are wired to work with PSP and so it naturally seems most comfortable to me.

Collapse -
For the beggjner
by macwashburn / November 2, 2007 12:57 PM PDT

Try Picasa by Google...it is free and it does a lot!!!!

Collapse -
Picassa, sure
by rbsjrx / November 2, 2007 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: For the beggjner

I'll second this. I'm already on record as a user of both Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements, but Picassa packs a lot of power if your
requirements aren't too demanding. I use it primarily for photo organization, but my wife uses it for everything. And you can't beat the price!

Collapse -
Photofiltre
by gerro24 / November 2, 2007 10:29 PM PDT

I personaly recommend Photofiltre because there is a lot of tutorials online to help master it.

Collapse -
Image Editors
by julielll / November 4, 2007 6:36 PM PST

I have used many, currently using Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Digital Image. The hardest part of the learning curve is figuring out the vocabulary used in the software.

I do have a great resource for everyone...

http://www.mehdiplugins.com

Mehdi offers an extensive array of free plugins for digital imaging software. My personal favorite is 'Eraser'. Go ahead, remove the time and date stamp from your favorite photo and while your at it, remove the odd looking animal or the inappropriate finger gesture and your photo looks fabulous......

Good Luck,

jak

Collapse -
by taboma / November 6, 2007 9:03 AM PST

I have followed all the posts and everyone offered very good advise.
I use Adobe Photoshop as a professional.

There is only one more to consider. INFRANVIEW. It's FREE!
I do not use it, yet many on the CNET Graphics Forum swear by it. May fit your needs.

To view all the discussions on Infranview, go to the left hand top of your screen, here on the Forum.
You will see a heading called CNET Forums (in Green).
Click on it and you will be led to another screen. Type in Infranview and hit your return.
You will read all about Infranview and all the discussions concerning that software that was ever posted on CNET Forums (FOR YEARS!!!)
Happy reading! Lots there.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Could Have a Look at Photoimpact 12
by darbhc / December 5, 2007 11:44 AM PST

I have been using Photoimpact photo programs for about 7 years = From Version 5 to now the "Version 12".
All had/have/contain excellent programming!

The programs very easy to use
Will do all any one requires and has easy methods for processing editing of images and less compicated than photoshop

Regards

Collapse -
Photoshop Elements. Now question about it.
by Holyhabanero / April 14, 2008 8:43 AM PDT

If the only thing you will ever use this software for is to remove red eye, then you should check out the new free Photoshop Express ( https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html ).

But if you want to go beyond that, I would strongly suggest Photoshop Elements. I started learning graphic design with it, and it provided a huge benefit when I needed to "graduate" to the full version of Photoshop. It is easy enough for the most basic computer newbie to pick-up (heck my mother in law is using it for digital scrapbooking) yet powerful enough to do most anything you would need, and it provides a great foundation if and when you need to move up to the full version like me. There are countless free sites that have tutorials to instruct (I even run a blog with some tut's at http://photoshop-tv.blogspot.com/ ) and you can find a tutorial for pretty much anything you can think of. I've tried several other design software such as Paint Shop Pro, Corel, and many others, but for the money Photoshop Elements can't be beat.

Collapse -
Photoshop elements is a must-have!
by dtb104 / April 22, 2008 5:34 AM PDT

I agree.

Photoshop is the perfect tool for a beginer. I still use it.

Buy it cheap: If you are a student or work as a teacher: go to www.academicsuperstore.com for some good deals!

Hint: The TotalTraning DVD is very helpful for this software. It is only about 20 dollars, but is like the key ofr this software!

Collapse -
Image editor for beginners.
by Papa Echo / May 4, 2008 8:01 AM PDT

The "Adobe" type products are for the pros and advanced and experienced users. Google for image editors or similar key words, + free, and you will have a lot to choose from - like Infrawiew, GIMP, Amazing photo editor...Try them out. See which one works for you. There is no "The Best".

Collapse -
Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimaste x2
by Ron17RS / February 15, 2009 10:03 AM PST

I've been using so many photo programs, including those provided with the cameras and many of the others including Photoshop 7, and now I found the one I consider the best, Corel's Paint Shop Pro. I've found it every bit as good as PhotoShop and easier to use. Plus, it's one fourth the cost. It has an easy learning curve (PhotoShop Elements lost me) and it will do almost everything you will ever need.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?