Cameras forum

General discussion

Best Home video/Audio system that supprts 1080p upscaling

by kalamantinaa / September 4, 2008 12:30 PM PDT

Hi everyone,
I have a HD tv with 1080p, and a ps3 as a blu ray player, as with all others , I have a huge list of normal DVD's, that I don't wanna just throw away since I can do 1080p upscaling.
That is my main objective, is to find a good upscaling module, but if I can get a good home video and audio system with that, then it wouldn't hurt.
I was checking out the bose 321 system, but it had poor reviews here, so my question is :
what do you think is the best home audio/video system that has HD upscaling (1080p) in the market?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Home video/Audio system that supprts 1080p upscaling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Home video/Audio system that supprts 1080p upscaling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Posting on Wrong Forum
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 4, 2008 1:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Home Theater Upscaling
by Dan Filice / September 5, 2008 10:13 AM PDT

I agree with the other poster that you will get more responses by posting your question on the Home Theater forum here, but I'll try to add my 2 1/2 cents since I spend most of my time in that forum. First, I'm a little confused because your questions kind of run into each other. You said you want a video/audio system that has good upscaling, but then you ask about Bose speakers. Your PS3 does great upscaling. If you haven't downloaded any of the PS3 firmware upgrades, then do it because it optomizes the PS3 to do 1080p/24 output for your 1080p TV. The PS3 will playback all of your standard DVDs just fine (I have one) and it is a great upscaling DVD player. The most important item for your PS3 is to connect it to your TV by an HDMI cable, which will give you the best image. Second, are you asking about a receiver and speakers to get surround too? That wasn't clear. Most people on the Home Theater forum do not recommend Bose speakers. For the price of Bose, you can get speakers much better. Look at for example. They sell matched surround speakers for about $1200 that will blow away anything that Bose makes. Axiom also sells excellent receivers, like Sherwood, Denon and a few others that match their speakers perfectly. Unless you are totally clueless, try to stay away from what is called a Home Theater in a Box. For the convenience of having a complete home theater in a box, there is a huge compromise on quality. Typically they have cheap speakers and receivers. Again, your PS3 is one of the best Blu-Ray players and upscaling players around. Use that and buy good separate components to build a system.

Collapse -
PS3 can do upscaling??
by kalamantinaa / September 6, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Home Theater Upscaling

Hi dan,
You said that PS3 does 1080p upscaling??
how is thta possible,? I never knew that, I own the 60 gb model that first came out in late 2006, does that do upscaling?

Collapse -
Yes, PS3 does upscaling.
by Dan Filice / September 6, 2008 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: PS3 can do upscaling??

Go into the PS3 menu and in the BD Settings you can choose the output format for your PS3. Choose 1080p if that is the resolution of your TV. You must use HDMI for upscaling to work though. Have you played a standard-def DVD in the PS3? It may output at 480i unless you go into the PS3 menu and choose 1080p as the output format. Then, try playing the disc again. Easy, simple, done. And by the way, this has been discussed often in the Home Theater Video Audio forum here. You may want to wander over there and do a search for PS3.

Collapse -
One more thing...
by Dan Filice / September 6, 2008 7:28 AM PDT

Make sure you have downloaded the latest Sony PS3 firmware upgrade. This will allow your PS3 to output at 1080p.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?