TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best Home Theater Surround Speaker Set ~ $1000-$1500 Range

by Saltcreep / November 1, 2009 7:31 AM PST

C-net editor reviews recommend the Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid SD's. I really like them - particularly the floor-standing front-L/Rs, but I noticed that the review was done way back in 2008. Are these old news? If so, what should I be looking at instead???

Can anyone help me here? Your input is much appreciated!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Home Theater Surround Speaker Set ~ $1000-$1500 Range
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Home Theater Surround Speaker Set ~ $1000-$1500 Range
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Someone's got to have an opinion on this...
by Saltcreep / November 1, 2009 10:13 AM PST

I keep reading good things about this Aperion system, but need some feedback from you guys..

Is there something you think is better in this price range?

Collapse -
I have an Aperion system from 4 months ago
by minimalist / November 2, 2009 6:22 AM PST

and it is drop dead amazing (5C center, 6B fronts, 4B rears and a 12D sub). I spent about 2K on it but I have no doubt their smaller systems will still be more than adequate for small to medium size rooms.

But you might also consider Energy, SVS, JBL, Klipsch, and Polk speakers as well. Paradigm speakers are great of course but they can get pricy as they are sold via brick and mortar only. Aperion, SVS, and Energy sell factory direct so your bang for you buck with their systems tends to be higher (in my opinion). Do some research on these companies on boards like AVS Forums and on various home theater and hi-fi review sites and see if you can narrow your search down some.

Collapse -
That used to be the case with Paradigm
by Pepe7 / November 2, 2009 11:28 PM PST
Collapse -
I would be very careful however
by minimalist / November 3, 2009 12:06 AM PST

as lots of high end AV gear is sold on the internet without the approval of the manufacturer. Be sure to check with Paradigm before you buy to make sure you are purchasing from an authorized reseller. Otherwise your warranty will likely not be honored.

And be sure to check out the details. Lots of small internet resellers that advertise they have the cheapest prices make up the difference with items hidden in the small print... restocking fees, overly large "shipping and handling" charges, etc.

Collapse -
A couple of safe ones
by Pepe7 / November 3, 2009 8:32 AM PST

Amazon & One Call seem to be the more reputable sources that came up in my search.

Collapse -
Amazon is my goto for computers and electronics.
by minimalist / November 3, 2009 11:52 AM PST
In reply to: A couple of safe ones

With a prime membership I get super-fast shipping for free and no tax. I also like J&R, B&H Photo, Crutchfield, and Abes of Maine.

Collapse -
But I avoid buying from any Amazon "partners". Been burned
by minimalist / November 3, 2009 2:00 PM PST

with painfully slow expensive shipping and not so hot return policies one too many times.

Collapse -
by Saltcreep / November 3, 2009 7:21 AM PST

AVS Forums will help a lot, thanks! This is very helpful guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Collapse -
(NT) You're very welcome. Good luck.
by minimalist / November 3, 2009 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!!
Collapse -
celestion stereospeckers m#708422
by rd47fbr / November 4, 2009 11:48 PM PST

I have a chance to buy thease celestions but never herd anything on them. the person that has them has a large amp & prreamp. do I need pre amp and will these go with my system that is a keenwood recever vr-407 four bose 301 and two polk audiots 200 w/keenwood sw s#0060994d I use most for music and music vidio. thank you very much.

Collapse -
Start a new thread for this topic
by Pepe7 / November 4, 2009 11:58 PM PST

You're thread-jacking, dude Wink

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?