General discussion

Best Hardware PC for Graphic Design/Movie Editing

Hello guys,
I own a small production company with my friends. My buddy does all the editing but I would really like to learn and get into it. So its a pretty important thing for me. I also just started a new clothing company, and I wanted to be able to take my sketches and artwork, then digitize them on Adobe Illustrator and create some lines. I have a budget of around 3,000 preferably less, any ideas on a PC (not a mac fan) I could get, or some specs I should make sure to have if I have it built?

Thanks in advance to all =)!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Best Hardware PC for Graphic Design/Movie Editing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Best Hardware PC for Graphic Design/Movie Editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What did you use before?

Let's get something a little better next time.

This approach doesn't break the bank. Example? Look at that 9GB RAM core i7 machine at geeks.com today.
Bob

- Collapse -
suggestion.

hello there
if you want to get god parts for a good price, use places like newegg for your stuff. DON'T EVER USE EBAY.you'll get scammed. kijiji is also ok. you could buy from retail stores, but they'll eat up your budget with all those taxes faster than a gas guzzler that's low on fuel.
here's my suggestion....

-graphics card at least an ATI hd5770 or an nvidia GTX260. Crossfire OR SLI will really boost your performance, but may give you issues later on.

-quad-core CPU. those are pretty cheap now. either the Core I7 or I5 quad-core is good.

- at least 4gb ram. the more, the merrier. try to buy the faster ram.

-at lease one 1 terabyte hard drive to store all those files
-a really good case with excellent airflow. I'd suggest the antec 1200 because of it's giant 200mm fan on top. it also glows blue*it looks epic*

-1 or 2 SATA DVD-RW drives or possibly a blu-ray drive.

- a really good aftermarket cooler.stock market cooler suck. you clould buy the coolermaster V8.

-and a power supply that's at least 600 watts and has SLI/Crossfire support if you're going to use CF/SLI. i prefer a power supply made by OCZ

-and other accessories like thermal paste, fans(try to make them silent),CARD READER, and other stuff like that.

-and the most important part, the motherboard. first you choose your CPU, figure out what type of socket it has and then you choose the motherboard. make sure the type of ram you buy is supported by the board. my favorite maker is ASUS. they have good product quality 95% of the time.

you could also get 2 monitors if you have enough left over.
good luck.

- Collapse -
Lots of RAM and Quad Core are all that i would suggest

since you're not doing heavy 3d graphics, you probably don't need to splurge too much for a graphics card. However, i recommend getting something over integrated graphics.

- Collapse -
12 gigs of ram enough?

12 enough? And would an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 graphics card be able to do the trick?

CNET Forums

Forum Info