Laptops forum

General discussion

Best Gaming Laptop

by Gali4Sure / January 13, 2007 3:25 AM PST

Hey

I was looking for the best gaming laptop.

max price: 3600

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Gaming Laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Gaming Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell XPS M1710
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / January 13, 2007 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Best Gaming Laptop

It is the best "affordable" gaming notebook I know.

Look also to the Toshiba P-100 or P-105 with the nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS.

Sure, you'll get better gaming performances on a desktop computer and I don't recommend 17" laptops ( heavy, not very easy to carry... you lose the mobility of a laptop ).

The memory and the core clock of a mobile GPU are downclocked to save power and avoid overheating while a deskop board is clocked normally. That's why you'll get better performances with a desktop.

A desktop GPU can be overclocked, while in a laptop, is it strongly not recommended. You can also overclock the CPU in a desktop, a thing you can't do in a laptop.

BUT : with a laptop, you can carry it ( well ... do not forget that you have a 17" ... about 15 lbs with the charger ... )

Good luck !

Collapse -
why do you need a dell ...
by KJT6660 / January 23, 2007 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Dell XPS M1710

why give your money to dell or alienware when there are just as good gaming machines, for half the price but the company does not have as good of advertisement. As far as Alien ware, I would stay far away from that company. Although they are hooked onto Dell, they are much worse. I think it is because they kept the prices when Dell purchased them but started putting in Dells mostly lesser quality components. Tons of complaints with alienware all day everyday.

Collapse -
alienware
by m.nandini / January 14, 2007 7:03 AM PST

Ill probably get flamed for telling you that alienware would be worth a look, but im going to do it anyways.

The Aurora m9700 (17" screen) will definitely run some games for 3600$. for that price you can get a AMD Turion 2.4 ghz processor, 2 gb of RAM, a 100 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive, and dual 512 mb NVIDIA GE-force 7900 SLI graphics cards. With this configuration or something close to it, you will be able to run many of the highest end games for sure. And with the above mentioned specs ur looking at $3539 without shipping.

And all of this will round out at about 9 or so lbs without the charger. heavy, but not too heavy. Everyone can complain about how heavy these gaming laptops are, saying that they arent portable. but really, would you rather carry 12 or so lbs worth of a laptop, or carry much more than that worth of a full desktop system?

hope this helps

Collapse -
Rock comp's
by Gali4Sure / January 15, 2007 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: alienware

Hi

Thanks for the great response.

I was thinking the other day.. and do some of you have any advice on Rock computers? :www.rockdirect.com

Let me know!:P

Collapse -
Do you gamble?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2007 12:59 AM PST
In reply to: Rock comp's

Any new name or no name is a gamble. I'd want to visit their factory and repair facility before purchase.

Bob

Collapse -
rockdirect
by JackTheCrow / January 15, 2007 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Rock comp's

rockdirect computers are no gamble. They offer re branded Sager/Clevo laptop configurations; which are known to be arguably the best gaming laptops (or laptop builds in general) anyone can buy. Alienware (who utilizes some clevo configurations) and dell may take up all the hype and pub, but for those who have some experiences with hardcore mobility gaming, sager and clevo laptops are often at the top of the list of best gaming laptops. Their build is solid and stylish, without the tacky glowing led logos and lights, which some may or may not prefer.

for more information about clevo/sager builds see Notebookreview.com's clevo guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=91510

In addition, here's a review on the sager 5760, one of the best gaming machines on the market today: http://www.notebookforums.com/thread155215.html

Collapse -
laptop for gamers
by CarlosRamirez50 / January 23, 2007 8:02 AM PST

$3600 thats alot. I'm just gonna go to avadirect.com and customize it.
If not, buy ASUS A8JS (Nvidia vidcard) or ASUS G1 (Nvidia vidcard) or ASUS G2P (ATI vidcard) under $2000 from newegg. Those machines are the best for hardcore gamers.
You can spend the rest of $1600 for accessories and something else. Silly

If I were you, I dont buy Alienware nor Voodoo. It's overpriced.

Collapse -
asus g series...
by JackTheCrow / January 23, 2007 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: laptop for gamers

The asus g series notebooks are geared towards gamers but are by far the not the best for "hard core" gamers. They are solidly built, but have underpowered graphic cards for those who want to run hardware extensive games at 35+ frame rates and high settings.

The Asus g1 does sport the best video card for a 15.4" screen laptop, but as reviews dictate, it cannot compare to gaming laptops with 17" screens and larger. The Asus G2, which is a 17" screen notebook, has a horribly underpowered videocard -- since the ati x1700 which will not hold a candle to the higher end nvidia 79xx and ati 18xx/19xx grade mobile gpu's.

like i said before...If you're a hard core gamer, and if you do your research, get a Sager 5760 series notebook with a nvidia 7950 gtx.

or wait 'till santa rosa and dx10.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?