Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

Best format for external HD

by rare_wolf / May 19, 2012 10:47 PM PDT

I found several similar queries, but none of them recent, or would answer #2 below ...

I have a 1.5Tb NTFS-formatted drive that I want to use with my MBA (OS X 10.7.4). I have also installed MacFUSE on the MBA. I'm not familiar with using MacFUSE, only that it's supposed to accommodate NTFS. As a data drive for the MBA, I ask what is the best format to use? I will not be used for a PC (ie, Windows) ... but I'd hate to eliminate the possibility. 2 questions

(1) I suppose the dark horse is the ExFAT format -- what are its advantages & disadvantages?

(2) If I felt I wanted to partiton the drive and/or reformat it, how do I use MacFUSE to format a partition as NTFS?

TIA & Cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula!

rare_wolf has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best format for external HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best format for external HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Clarification
by rare_wolf / May 19, 2012 10:55 PM PDT

I should clarify ... it is "FUSE for OS X" that is installed ... not MacFUSE

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by rare_wolf

Collapse -
Only one answer to this question.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 19, 2012 11:37 PM PDT

Even though you keep moving the goalposts during your question.

Mac OS X Extended (journaled) is the format of choice for a drive that will not be used on windows.

You do not need Fuse for OS X to do anything on that drive, the Apple Disk Utility will format the drive for you.

Should you want to share the drive with a PC, then you can install HFS for Windows on the PC.

If you want to create a partition and format it as NTFS, you could do that by connecting the drive to the Mac and creating a FAT partition and then attach it to a PC and reformat that partition as NTFS.
Remember that a Windows machine cannot read or write a disk that is formatted Mac OS X Extended(journaled), without third party software but a Mac can read, but cannot write, to a disk formatted as NTFS.

P

Collapse -
Thanx Mrmacfixit
by rare_wolf / May 20, 2012 12:29 AM PDT

I was about to move the goal posts yet again with the facts that I use Windows XP virtually, and my acrchive solution will only write to HFS+ partitions ... but "HFS for Windows" should remedy everything!

Collapse -
Using XP virtually would not present a problem with
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2012 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanx Mrmacfixit

reading and writing.
You wouldn't even need HFS for Windows in that case as most VM solutions, Parallels for instance, all for the moving of data files from one environment to the other without a problem.

P

Collapse -
HFS & virtual XP
by rare_wolf / May 20, 2012 10:37 PM PDT

Hmmmm(?) ... I use VMware's Fusion ... and I switched USB access for a HFS+ formatted USB external drive over to XP, and it never showed up on the drive list. I assumed it was because of the format(?)

Collapse -
I use Paralells with XP
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 21, 2012 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: HFS & virtual XP

and all my Mac formatted disks appear under My Computer

However, I was not referring to external drives when I made my comment.
I was talking about the ability to drag windows files onto the Mac desktop, and vice versa

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?