Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Best Firewall?

by willowthunder / February 27, 2006 8:23 AM PST

Could someone help me with what is the best firewall for my computer? I have a neighbor from he-- who is a computer programmer/hacker and we are wanting to keep our computer safe from him. He is also a ham operator and we recently discovered he has our phone monitored. Any help with what software will keep him out of our computers would be greatly appreciated. Yes, we have contacted the local police dept. but without concrete proof there is nothing they can do yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Firewall?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Firewall?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe a host file
by tomron / February 27, 2006 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Best Firewall?
Collapse -
Firewalls
by willowthunder / February 27, 2006 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe a host file

Thank you for the information I'm looking into each answer I received and weighing my options. Great forum to post questions to.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It certainly is a great forum
by tomron / February 28, 2006 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Firewalls
Collapse -
willowthunder.. No doubt you will ..
by Carol~ Moderator / February 27, 2006 9:19 AM PST

get a lot of advice, as to what each person believe's is the best. You may wish to look at previous posts where people have already given their opinions.

It's a start..
Carol

Collapse -
Here's my 2cents worth -- Kerio Personal Firewall
by zeebell / February 27, 2006 9:49 AM PST

I used the free Sygate until they merged with Norton -- or whomever they merged with!

I liked that firewall very much as it was quite user friendly.

A cyberfriend very highly recommended Kerio to me some months ago and I thought it was too complicated for me. However, I've found that not to be the case and I went with the special offer they are currently having. Originally I think it was $40 and then an annual charge to continue with the update definitions; but they are currently offering it for $14.95 until March 31, 2006.

I have been using it for 6 weeks or more and am extremely pleased with it. The few questions that I had were very promptly answered by their tech support, which is included in the cost.

After the initial year, it will cost $10/yr. for me to continue getting the update definitions. It is all handled over the internet and is a secure site.

Here is the link for it in case you want to check it out.

I also have a router in addition to using the firewall. I don't think one can be over protected when it comes to keeping your PC clean and safe.

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/index.cfm

Hope this helps.

Julea

Collapse -
thank you Julea
by dawillie / February 27, 2006 11:28 AM PST

yes I am the 'cyber friend', here to help anyone that wants it.

I have an older version of Kerio but it is easy to understand and deal with.

or like Julea go to the newer version.

either way I can and will help.

all details in my profile.

email will start the ball rolling.

David Williams

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hi David -- glad you saw this! Kudos to U!
by zeebell / February 27, 2006 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: thank you Julea
Collapse -
Kerio
by Alan Copeland / February 27, 2006 10:49 PM PST

It sure is friendly to me, and thanks again for recommending it. I have been on it for about 10 days and am very happy. I got two licenses for less than I paid for one with ZA thanks to the special pricing,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So glad you like it. Hope others do too.
by zeebell / February 28, 2006 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: Kerio
Collapse -
Willow, More Important....Don't Share Files With The World
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 28, 2006 12:32 AM PST

It would certainly help if we knew the operating system you're trying to protect...

Although a good firewall is necessary, (if you don't have one already, you might consider a router with a firewall in addition to the software version on your computer), please read the instructions in the link below to stop sharing your files with others:

How To Stop Sharing Files With The World

By the way, I use the ZoneAlarm firewall, but if nothing else, if you're using Windows XP, enable the Windows firewall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Firewalls
by willowthunder / February 28, 2006 7:27 AM PST

Thank you Grif for your help. In answer to your question I have XP on my computer. I downloaded the trial version of the Kerio last night I had been using the McAfee Pro Firewall but not sure if it helped me or not. I tried the XP firewall but it won't allow my dsl connection to work. I spent hours on the phone with SBC tech help when I couldn't connect and that was the last thing we tried before we were going to give up. The dsl has a firewall in it but I don't trust this guy farther than I could throw him which isn't far... LOL
Jennifer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.