TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Best DVD Recorder in satellite TV system

by motonut / January 23, 2006 12:55 AM PST

I have a DirectTV HD-DVR (hard drive) connected to a Toshiba HD LCD TV (32HL95). I want to connect a DVD player/recorder to this setup. I do not need a VCR combo unit but if a combo unit is best that's what I'll get. I just want to be able to save the better shows I have on the HD-DVR to DVD to free up the space. I don't need TV Guide or Tivo on the DVD recorder as everything will be coming off the DirectTV HD DVR.

I understand that HDMI will not let me record but I would use the Component Video outputs from the HD DVR to the DVD Recorder and use the Component Video Out from the DVD Reorder to the TV (plenty of spare inputs there).

Can this be done and what are my options for an under $300 unit?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best DVD Recorder in satellite TV system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best DVD Recorder in satellite TV system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yo need an HD DVD recorder
by Dan Filice / January 23, 2006 3:18 AM PST

By taking the component outputs from your box, you may have side-stepped the "copyguard" from the HDMI, but I think you still are using the HD signal. If so, you won't be able to record this signal until you get a HD DVD recorder (not out yet). I believe you can take the composite output (coax) and plug that into a standard DVD recorder. It won't get you that beautiful HD picture (only VHS quality), but this may be better than nothing.

Collapse -
by motonut / January 23, 2006 6:18 AM PST

I wasn't expecting to record in HD however would I be able to record in HD on my DirectTV HD-DVR and then burn a non-HD copy on the DVD-R? I can always record the non-HD broadcast but would rather just make one recording.

The DVD-R of choice so far is the Panasonic DMR-ES20 which gets good reviews here.

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / January 23, 2006 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Followup

I don't have any experience with the DirecTV DVR, but I would assume that so long as it has the proper outputs and your recorder has matching inputs, you should be able to record a disc. The big question is what would be the matching connections? What is the DVD recorder inputs? This is what needs to match with the DVR outputs.

Collapse -
by motonut / January 23, 2006 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: DVR

The HD-DVR has both HDMI output (connected to my HD-TV) and Component Video output (the Panasonic DVD-R has a Comp. Video input) The Panasonic DVD-R also has a Comp. Vid. output which will go to one of the TV's Comp. Vid. inputs, so I don't think that's an issue.

Collapse -
Ask your satellite provider
by Dan Filice / January 23, 2006 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: response

Ask DirecTV what connections you should use from their box to record to your DVD recorder. I would be concerned that the Component Out from their box is carrying the HD signal, which might not be compatible with the Inputs on your recorder. But again, DirecTV should be able to direct you on this.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?