General discussion

best DVD brand

I just got my first DVD recorder and am wondering what would be the best brand of DVD I should buy so I don't end up with very many coasters. While I am at it should I buy DVD-r or DVD+r so my DVDs can be played in most DVD players out there. Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: best DVD brand
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: best DVD brand
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
1. +R or -R? Simple. Use what your players support and like

2. I record at 1/2 the media speed or the drive speed. Whichever is lower.

Finally, the only bad brand I picked up was some no-name spindle. Those have started to work with my new HP Lightscribe so go figure. At this point this means I have not found a bad batch ever.

Bob

PS> I do pick up the HP media when it's on sale...

- Collapse -
Reviews About Disc Quality

Just one such guide at the below:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I primarily use Sony, TDK, and Ricoh here because it's available and have had very few discs fail. Got a 100 spindle of Sony's DVD+R last week for $22.99.. But as Bob mentioned above, use what works on your players.. They can be finicky.

As to +R vs -R, most of the modern players don't have a problem with either.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
It's hard to say

It's hard to say, because there's only about 6 companies that actually make recordable DVDs, and they just put the Sony or Verbatim or TDK or whatever other brand name on there. A lot of companies will also tend to switch suppliers depending on which one submits the lowest bid once a contract for some amount of discs to be made is up. A good example if Verbatim, which has been known to have one company making their -R discs and another company making their +R discs.

Generally speaking, those seemingly great deals on large spindles of some brand you've never heard of before are likely going to be very low quality discs. Lots of coasters, read errors, and the discs that work won't work for very long (1-2 years if you're extremely lucky). If you stick to well established brand names, odds are they're going to go with the higher quality suppliers to protect their brand image. You may pay a little more, but you're far more likely (though not guaranteed) to get a batch of discs that will give you few problems and last a good couple of years before degrading to the point of being unusable.

- Collapse -
It Works for most

Check with the maker of the drive, they usually list disc that are tested with the drive. I have read others replys and they are good, as an example, I once used memorex, had very good results, next time I used them, had a lot of problems. I checked and found they changed who made them, the best way to do this is thru software, I use dvd info pro, but nero will tell you also. I also agree that even if a burner and disc are rated at 16x, it is better to burn at a slower rate, I usually burn 4x sometime 8x. Make sure you have the latest firmware from the drive maker, it helps with new disc formulations.
If you are going to do video to play in a dvd player, use dvd- While it is true, most new players have no problem with either, the dvd- plays in a lot more players, and for those of you that are really into burning, I have even used bit setting, that changes the dvd+ to look like a dvd rom, it helps for player compatability, but still not as good as dvd-. The very best brands are verbatim and Taiyo Yuden, I can not find Taiyo locally and order them. The major retailers often have great prices on name brand dvds, usually around 25.00 per hundred. There are many sites to order and find out info, one site for good info about disc is http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia Another thing, when you are burning, don't be surfing, playing games, using instant messenger, make sure your antivirus is not going to kick in while burning. I know there is a lot more, but if you follow these few suggestions, you will be on the way to no coasters. I hope this helps.

- Collapse -
best DVD brand

For DVD (DVD5 - single layer) recording I would recommend RITEK. I've been using these dvds for months now without any problems. However, I would suggest that you use the lowest speed setting in your burning program (4x (Nero)). (Since you'll most probably will want to burn CDs as well sometime in the future, I would suggest RIDATA cds - let your burner/burning program determine the best speed)

For DVD9 (dual layer) recording I would suggest Verbatim dvds. Again use the lowest speed setting (2.4x (Nero)).

The brand to stay clear of is Printco - now there is coaster fodder. My experience has been that after 6 months or so, the Printco CDs lost what ever data was stored on them so I'm not prepared to even try their DVDs just to find that after a time my data is gone.

- Collapse -
Depends on DVD Copy Software as well....
- Collapse -
What' I've Heard and Experienced

I have heard that Taiyo Yuden makes the highest quality optical media but I have never been able to try it because literally NOBODY sells it in my area (central Florida), they are quite expensive, and shipping costs from mail order firms are far too high for this type of product.

I have used Memorex (and its various other brand names) in the past with a high rate of failure. I no longer buy them.

I have had much fewer failures (2% or so) with TDK and Philips, but seemingly the best that I can get nearly everywhere at low (sometimes VERY low, dirt-cheap) prices are Verbatim. I have never yet had even a single failure with Verbatim media in literally THOUSANDS of attempts recording at the highest speed for which the disks are rated.

FYI, I usually use a Samsung Writemaster drive that I got for under $30 at Newegg.

- Collapse -
Taiyo Yuden Bland DVD Media

Actually www.supermediastore.com has some pretty good prices on Taiyo Yuden DVD's. Especially when they are on sale. And yes Taiyo Yuden blank DVD's are just about the best.

- Collapse -
TDK

I've burned thousands of DVDs and CDs and tried many brands. Ultimately I settled on TDK because they were the only brand that never gave any of my drives any problems. Too many failures with too many other brands.

These days most readers and writers will accept any configuration (such as +R or -R) so that should not make any difference. But if you have specific uses intended, check your owners manual on your players and writers for specs.

It's hard to find TDKs on sale, but sometimes they are. Last winter Circuit City put TDK DVDs and CDs on sale, and I purchased 250 DVDs and 150 CDs. The DVDs were 6.50 per 25-pack and the CDs were 6.50 per 50-pack.

- Collapse -
Best DVD brand

I would stay with brand name DVDs such as sony, hp, memorex etc. I've noticed that some no name brands can crack easily. My experience is that DVD+R is most popular and can be played overseas in England and Ireland as well. I cannot seem to play DVD-R disks on
anything and I keep up to date. I should add here I am referring to burned DVDs in all cases and I've burned up to a 1000. I'm led to believe that DVD-R's are ancient.

CNET Forums

Forum Info