Cameras forum

General discussion

Best DSLR WITHOUT video

by markrbb75 / September 27, 2010 11:17 AM PDT

I have enjoyed my Olympus C8080 since I bought it new in 2004 and I am now ready to purchase a DSLR plus two or three lenses. I was looking at Nikon's D90, but I really feel that if I want to shoot video, I'll use my video camera. I realize that once I choose, I am comitted to the line (Canon, Nikon, Oly, etc.) due to lenses, flash, etc...so my question is simply this: Are there any GOOD DSLR's out there WITHOUT video capture? Oh yeah, I also can't afford Full Frame. Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best DSLR WITHOUT video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best DSLR WITHOUT video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"GOOD" DSLR
by PistonCupChampion / September 27, 2010 12:44 PM PDT

I'm not sure what is your definition of good, but probably the best "current" DSLR on the market that does not offer video is the Canon 50D. There are many other DSLR's without video of course, but they are all less expensive and not as "good." That said, I don't think that picking a camera on the lack of a feature is how you should choose one.

Collapse -
agree
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / September 27, 2010 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: "GOOD" DSLR

You don't have to use the video function if you don't want to. I really am looking at buying a Canon 7D for shooting sports but I could care less about the video option, I just look at the camera for the still photography aspect.

Collapse -
NON-Video DSLR
by markrbb75 / September 28, 2010 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: agree

I want to be able to invest in a good DSLR, but I don't want to have to pay for that whole 'video' aspect which only takes up space in the camera and I don't plan to use anyway. Maybe I'm too old-school, but IMHO, still cameras are for still photos while Videography is a whole separate field of its own.
I really would like to get serious about photography and want a camera and lenses that I can grow into. I shoot sports, but want to do portrait and weddings as well. I'm kinda between that whole Canon/Nikon thing, but I won't rule Olympus 'cuz I do like Zuiko SWD lenses.
Thanks for the help...you guys have been at it for a while and I appreciate the 'leg-up'.
Mark

Collapse -
Space?
by PistonCupChampion / September 28, 2010 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: NON-Video DSLR

I don't know what you mean by video taking up space in the camera. You wouldn't even know a camera is video capable if it weren't for a button or menu item or two. As far as paying for it, the manufacturers include it now to remain competitive. That aside, I doubt there's much manufacturing cost in adding video. The main expense, the sensor, has to be in the camera for it to take still photos.

Collapse -
Little Do I Know
by markrbb75 / September 28, 2010 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Space?

ok, if it doesn't take up space and doesn't cost more, then what are the ADVANTAGES of having video in a still camera? Certainly the lenses are not made for moving pix with the focus being the way it is.

Collapse -
Same here
by mopscare42 / September 29, 2010 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Little Do I Know

I was looking at the new Canon 60D and I didn't have any use for the video as I have a video camera.
I ended up buying the 50D and am very happy with my decision.
I see the price has come down and you can get the body only at B&H cameras for $929.29. With the 28-135mm lens for $1098.95.
I have used that lens on both my 30D,40D and now with the 50D with great results.

Collapse -
D-SLR video
by hjfok / September 30, 2010 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Little Do I Know

Obviously the D-SLR HD video is not to replace the HD camcorder, especially for action or sports video. And one should buy the D-SLR for its photo capabilities, the video is just a bonus feature and should not be the deciding feature as to which D-SLR to buy, at least for now.

However I do find a lot of use with my D-SLR HD video, especially when taking short clips of my family. The biggest advantage is its superior low light capability. I put on the 50mm f/1.4 lens, I can record in low light places where my HD camcorder will fail. Although there is no useable autofocus with video mode, I usually can manually adjust focus quickly (quicker than my Sony HD camcorder hunting for AF in low light). The image quality is excellent. The bokeh effect of large aperture lens makes the subjects in the video pop, giving a more cinematic look. Sound quality is decent, I have a Rode mic if I want better quality stereo recording. But most family clips don't need surround sound recording. It also simplifies switching photos and video with just a touch of the button (instead of fetching the camcorder from the camera bag and wait for it to start up). One big disadvantage of D-SLR video is that you need to do a lot of manual adjustments including the focusing, so it is not for those who like to leave it in full auto mode.

It is a nice bonus feature to have. I do enjoy and like it with my Canon 5D Mk II. It does not cost extra to buy the camera nowadays, since many new D-SLRs include this feature. But on the other hand, you may find a better bargain for an older model without the HD video as they get phased out. The HD video does however take up a lot of memory space on your card and computer hard drive, and you will need a better computer configuration and graphics card to play and edit the video smoothly. A QUAD core computer is usually needed for smooth operation.

Collapse -
Pentax Kx
by mgvh / October 4, 2010 6:47 AM PDT

If money is a consideration, and you are not already committed to any particular lens system...
I spent a lot of time determining my first DSLR to get, and for now, I think the best value by far is the Pentax Kx. Get it with the 18-55 and 50-300 kit. (If money is not as significant, consider the Kr or K5.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?