HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Best digital point and shoot for low-light food photos?

by Pattyres / October 17, 2007 5:24 AM PDT

I'm in the market for a new compact camera, and my priority is taking the best possible pictures of food in restaurants without resorting to flash. I can spend up to $500, but would prefer $300-$400. I can't really whip out an SLR discretely in restaurants, so I really need the best possible compact point and shoot camera. I've heard that Fujis are the best for this -- is this still true? Would the F50fd be the best? I'm suspicious because of its low price. I'm also condsidering Panasonic and Canon models but have heard their performance at high ISO levels is not as good as Fuji.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best digital point and shoot for low-light food photos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best digital point and shoot for low-light food photos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Food Photos
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 8:45 AM PDT

The best food photographs are done with studio type lighting, so don't expect perfection.

For low light....the Fujifilm F50fd is likely your best choice.

If you are dining by candle light, that could get tricky without flash. Difficult but possible.

Collapse -
Not Fuji in this case
by jnthnp / October 19, 2007 4:34 AM PDT

Although Fujifilm has the only compact camera that can take decent photos at ISO 800, high ISO isn't what you're looking for. There's a difference between high ISO and image stabilization. ISO can freeze action that is moving in low light, while shake reduction only minimizes camera shake and can't ensure sharpness of your moving subject. Now, I'll make the assumption that your food doesn't move. You'll probably be looking for a camera with IS, VR, Steadyshot, and the like. (That's fancy talk for when a camera has a mechanical function that compensates for camera movement). You should be cautious though that some cameras have electronic image stabilization, which is a marketing joke; in my knowledge, there are some Nikon and a lot of Casio cameras that pull this trick.
If I'm not mistaken, Canon has very effective image stabilization. If you don't mind a large camera and want manual controls, look into the A650. If you want a small camera and image stabilization, look into the SD850 IS or something like that.
Now, you can still use high ISO, but you'll end up with noisy photos.

Collapse -
Just bought the Olympus Stylus 820 Digital Camera...
by cls220 / October 19, 2007 11:55 AM PDT

and I love, love, love it!! Can't believe how great it works for such an inexpensive camera!

It has settings specifically for photographing food, including a setting for doing photographs by candlelight and "available lighting".

I bought it at Best Buy -- primarily they have a 30-day no questions asked return policy (with receipt obviously). If the camera doesn't do what you need, you simply take it back and they put it on the shelf as a "previously-opened" item.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.