Windows Vista forum

Question

Best Diagnostic Software to Solve Error 0x800f0243?

by fgarabia / November 28, 2017 8:10 AM PST

Cannot print due to Error 0x800f0243. Many companies say it can be done but which ones are reliable, supportive and cost effective?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best Diagnostic Software to Solve Error 0x800f0243?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best Diagnostic Software to Solve Error 0x800f0243?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Never found such a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2017 8:17 AM PST

For decades the road to a fix has been research and trying the usual.

But why? The reason why is the Error Code does not tell us a lot. So far it takes a human and say google to find priors and then match up the error with the prior discussion and decide if that's a match then try what others did.

However for Vista I find the machines can be so old that they have issues that can't be fixed without a fresh OS install or fixing the hardware.

Your second question is about supportive tools or companies. To date I find all the makers to be supportive when paid. The problem is this may be cost prohibitive. That is, if you have a Vista PC and have to shell out over 200 just to get it working, why would you do that when for less you can replace the cranky PC? Example: https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-cm-hp-probook-6460b-intel-core-i3-2350m-4gb-14-dark-gray-refurbished

My brother and I run offices and we are very keen about keeping costs in check. That is, if it looks like an office machine will cost more to fix than replace then we replace. This really rankles those that think repairs should cost less than a replacement machine or printer.

Collapse -
Thanks R. Profitt!
by fgarabia / December 1, 2017 1:06 PM PST

Thanks for your response. I intend to buy a new computer but would like to get this one to print well again. I found additional information regarding the printing problem.

My new Brothers printer worked well from March until November. Then after a DVD burning session, the printer would not print. The appropriate driver did not show under PRINTERS in the control panel. A telephone session with the Brothers agent resulted in a conclusion that the problem was the computer and not the printer. The software for the printer was reloaded several times since with the same "no printer results". I downloaded and ran software to clean-up the registry and to improve computer performance without success for the printing problem.

However another piece of information came up while attempting to print a photo: "Unable to install printer. Printer driver is not compatible with a policy enabled on the computer that blocks NT 4.0 drivers." Any comments on how to resolve this? Thanks

Collapse -
I wonder. Could this be one of the usual issues?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2017 1:40 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks R. Profitt!

I wonder if you were trying to install from the CD that printers often come packed with. That has been known to fail with an error like yours.

Yes, I know folk today don't want to deal with this but here the solution has been to go to the printer maker's web support site for that model to get the current drivers for the OS we are running.

There is a second issue if the owner didn't have an Admin account. For that, we create an admin account and install the drivers there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.