HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

Question

Best DC to capture figure skating without blur?

by becky_spin / April 21, 2011 12:29 AM PDT

I have a hard time with the junky old Canon I have as well as the Sony Bloggie (which is made for video sharing, but blurs every move). I want to be able to take high quality photos of spins and jumps, which means I need the camera to take several photos in succession, without blur or lag time. Zoom is somewhat important, as is ease of use. My price range tops out around $400-500 I suppose. I don't want anything too fragile either...as I will have to entrust others to operate the camera. What do you suggest? (FYI - I know nothing about cameras) Thanks for any info in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best DC to capture figure skating without blur?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best DC to capture figure skating without blur?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Blur
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 12:59 AM PDT

The problem is available light.

If you moved the skating rink outside, you would not have a problem if you have a camera that lets you control the shutter speed.
Then you could select a faster shutter speed to eliminate the blur.
A faster shutter speed requires more light.

Video might still be a problem because you have so little control over shutter speed with an inexpensive video camera. You might need a professional video camera.

Some questions:

How much zoom do you normally use?
Are you using something like stage lighting?
..(bright lights on the action with dark audience)
Are you using spot-lights?
Are you using flash with the still camera?
What Canon camera are you currently using?

Collapse -
Ice rink is well lit
by becky_spin / April 21, 2011 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Blur

This is all recreational skating now, so it's in a bright arena with white ice, white boards and no spotlights or flash necessary. The Canon I have may be an old powershot. Not sure on the exact model, but it is silver and used to be pretty common. As far as zoom, I don't know how you determine that...I try not to skate in the distance too much, so I guess there is never a need for too much zoom. I think in the range of 2-4x sounds about right. Otherwise you start cutting off heads or skates.

Spins are very, very fast and I just want to make sure that if I sink money into a good camera, it will be able to get the right shots. So far it sounds like I can't afford this venture and that is bumming me out! Cry

Collapse -
Exposure
by PistonCupChampion / April 21, 2011 3:12 AM PDT

If the camera you are currently using is giving you motion blur but adequate exposures, i.e. not dark pictures, a budget DSLR with standard kit lens should be able to capture what you want. IMO the best value is the Pentax K-x, which you can find online for about $500. Depending on how well lit the rink is, you might need to crank up the ISO which will make the photos grainier looking, but that would allow a faster shutter speed, thus solving the motion blur problem. If you desire more zoom, you can get the same camera with an 18-55mm and 55-300mm two lens kit for about $150-200 more.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/KXA.HTM

If you don't have any hesitation about refurbished products, Sony has their a330 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses for $553. It is not as critically acclaimed like the Pentax, and it lacks some of the features and performance of the K-x, but it should be up to the task.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA330/AA330A.HTM

Collapse -
Will I need a bunch of fancy attachments?
by becky_spin / April 21, 2011 4:47 AM PDT

I found a couple with similar specs that you mentioned on my local craigslist. I usually go with craigslist, as I am not opposed to used stuff. Would a Nikon D40x by itself or a Nikon D40 with a bunch of attachments be a better bet for me? The D40x comes with nothing but the batteries, charger, camera and manuals. But the D40 comes with two screw on lenses: 0.45x fisheye and 2x telephoto for about $150 more. I just want to make sure I don't get a bunch of extras I won't need. But if these lens attachments are necessary...then I guess I will have to deal with that. Thanks for all of the info! Very helpful indeed!

Collapse -
D40 and D40x
by PistonCupChampion / April 21, 2011 7:12 AM PDT

Both would be fine, although they are relatively old, being from 2006-2007. The D40x produces larger photos, 10 megapixels vs. 6 megapixels. You should ask the seller how many actuations are on the shutter; you do not want to buy a camera that has a very high count (in the 10's of thousands). Going by eBay, and knowing that there are no seller fees on Craigslist, you shouldn't pay more than about $250, body only.

The lenses being offered for $150 are of no use to you; you would still need to buy the main lens (screw-on lenses are meant to be attached to the main lens; they cannot be used by themselves). A good used lens would be the Nikon 18-105mm for about $250, or for greater savings but less veratility, the Nikkor 18-55mm for less than $100.

Collapse -
Answer
Not enough budget
by PistonCupChampion / April 21, 2011 1:20 AM PDT

You would need a camera with good high ISO (imaging sensor sensitivity to light), a lens with a bigger aperture (to allow more light in), very little shutter lag, and one with a faster shot-to-shot time and faster burst mode. Only a DSLR camera has all those things, and only if you buy an additional, upgraded lens. Cost would be well over $1000.

At $500, you could get a new "beginner" DSLR with a standard lens. The lens won't have much zoom (it would have less than a compact camera with a 3x lens), and it won't be very bright either...which means you might still have blur.

Collapse -
Answer
Spin-Blur
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 21, 2011 6:05 AM PDT

Becky
I would still like to know the model number of your old Canon.
Many of the old Canon cameras did have manual controls.
If I have the model number, I can determine if your camera does have those manual controls.

With manual controls you can improve the results you are getting.
Just how much, I don't know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.