Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Best choice for accomodating changes in wireless network

by perflexed / January 1, 2010 5:59 AM PST

Current wireless situation: Modem has recently been moved along with wireless router to accommodate future streaming video to Toshiba HDTV. (mistake ? Blue-ray is wrong model for streaming video).

This leaves my printer in another location, no longer connected to the wireless router ? I can no longer print from anywhere. The printer is located near another broadband connection and is an All-in-one that connects with USB (has Ethernet option). Though the cable is live, it is now presently unused.

Between the two wants:
1. Want Netflix streaming video to TV (tried from laptop, but even though there is computer input ? with the VGA connection made ? unrecognized signal response comes up on TV screen)
2. Want to print from laptops anywhere in the house to the printer.

What are my best options? Move everything back and solve print problem and look for another way to stream to TV? or is wireless G print server a better option or an option at all?

What I presently have to work with:

Explorer 3250HD? High-Definition Interactive Set-Top
Sony Blue ray disk player BDP s300
Aris Touchstone Telephony Modem
Linksys-G broadband wireless router
HP Officejet Pro L7500 ? All-in-one printer
Toshiba HD TV
Two laptops

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Best choice for accomodating changes in wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Best choice for accomodating changes in wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By the numbers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 8:58 AM PST

1. I went both VGA and HDMI from my laptop and it's working fine. Sadly I find many challenged by this setup.

Another member pointed out this new Dell box -> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspiron-zino-hd?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

NOT a bad idea. Sorry I don't own one as I use a laptop for that position.

2. I just picked up a HP C4780 wifi printer and yes it works and yes it was a PAIN IN THE NET to set up. YES I got it working but after 4 hours I was about to pack it up until I thought it over one more time. It appears it was having trouble with the 802.11n router. I guessed and set the router to 802.11g mode and now it's ok. But there's a new lesson here.
Bob

Collapse -
for clarification
by perflexed / January 1, 2010 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: By the numbers.

Thank you for the quick response.

Does your laptop have a HDMI connection or is there a cable that runs between VGA and HDMI?

My VGA signal is not recognized by the TV. I have a request for information out there to Toshiba -- I'm using a VGA cable (15 pin, male both ends, to connect the two). So far no response.

The printer is not something I do not want to replace, got a great deal on it and it is more heavy duty (small business vs home use). I'd rather move all equipment back if I could find an alternate way to stream movies (more important to my husband than me-- I need the office capability).

I'm taking a serious look at the Dell you sent the link for, thanks again.

Collapse -
Let me number that two.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: for clarification

1. Does your laptop have a HDMI connection or is there a cable that runs between VGA and HDMI?

Today, it's connected with the HDMI connection. I can use VGA but because the HDMI pipes audio it's a cleaner solution.

2, My VGA signal is not recognized by the TV. I have a request for information out there to Toshiba -- I'm using a VGA cable (15 pin, male both ends, to connect the two). So far no response.

Yes it's troublesome for some to setup. I used the clone display option. Some have not played with dual displays or it just doesn't work for some. Let's just say I futz with it and so far I usually get it to work unless it's some OS the owner loaded and there is a missing driver or bum OS install.

3. The printer is not something I do not want to replace, got a great deal on it and it is more heavy duty (small business vs home use). I'd rather move all equipment back if I could find an alternate way to stream movies (more important to my husband than me-- I need the office capability).

There are small print server boxes galore out there. From 25 to much higher prices. But the problem I see is some of them falter on features. Such as my wifi HP C4780 lets me scan from any machine.

4, I'm taking a serious look at the Dell you sent the link for, thanks again.

RAMARC, a member posted that. Nice find. I had missed that one.
Bob

Collapse -
HP C4780 wifi printer
by SueSig / January 3, 2010 10:20 AM PST
In reply to: By the numbers.

Ha! I picked the same printer up the Monday after Thanksgiving when Staples had a sale, buy a new laptop, get the printer for $40. When I tried to connect the printer to the router it would not connect after repeated tries, wouldn't even turn on. The next day I boxed it up and returned it to Staples. They swapped it for another one, same model. The replacement one worked perfectly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.