Cameras forum

General discussion

best camera for sports

HELP!!! I need a camera to take good pictures of my kids sports ie, baseball, basketball, gymnastics, and football. I don't want to go with a camera that I need to change the lenses like the Canon EOS 20D. I know that I need a big zoom like a 10 or 12x. So, of all the no lense changing cameras out there, which has the fastest shutter speed ect. that would be great for sports. Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best camera for sports
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best camera for sports
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sports

In reply to: best camera for sports

Most digital cameras can handle sports.

But when you start talking.... sports under low light conditions.....you look for a camera with the lowest f-stop when it is fully zoomed.

All lenses are rated for their brightest setting when not-zoomed. The majority of the cameras will have an f-stop of f2.8

When you zoom the lens to its fullest, the camera gets another rating for brightest setting and it is often around f4.5 to f4.8.

This means when you zoom out, your lens loses about 1 1/2 f-stops. When shooting in low light, this becomes critical.

Here is a link to f-stop information:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=aperture

The Panasonic FZ20 outshines the competition with a rating of f2.8-2.8 .... meaning.... it does not loose any brightness when fully zoomed.

Shutter speed and brightness are related....because as you increase the shutter speed, you will need more light (brighter lens). You can (in effect) add more light by raising the ISO setting.

Here is a good write-up on "exposure":

http://www.pbase.com/otfchallenge/the_basics

The point of all of this information is to let you know, that when you get into low light action shooting you will need to use the manual controls on the camera to get the best picture.

The ol' point and shoot method will not do the job.

The Panasonic FZ20 has a good set of manual controls.

It also has image stabilization.

Collapse -
Another consideration....

In reply to: best camera for sports

It also depends on what sports you plan on shooting and how you plan on shooting them.

For some of us "sports shooting" also takes into consideration the # of frames/second you can shoot if you only have a few fleeting instances to get the right shot(s). Taking images at a bike race or track meet for instance. The Konica/Minolta Z3 and Z5 do very well in those situations. More frames per second, lighter, and costs at least $100 less.

Not to disparage the FZ 20 or FZ 5 however. If pics will be taken indoors then I'd choose the Panasonic. Both the K/M and Panasonic ultra zoom lines are great values to be honest.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.