Cameras forum

General discussion

best camera for skiing

by B123456H / November 4, 2007 9:15 PM PST

I'm looking for a small and compact digital camera that can withstand a beating and harsh cold element factor. I'm going skiing at snowshoe and i'd really like to take some action pics/vids on the slopes.

The things i'm looking for-
something that can withstand cold
a fixed focus/internal lens
takes SD memory cards
takes decent photos and video
~$150

is there anything i should look out for in the area of shooting techniques in the snow?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: best camera for skiing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: best camera for skiing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Skiing
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 5, 2007 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: best camera for skiing

I don't think you will find a ruggedized digital camera for $150.

I don't think any of the major camera companies make a fixed focus lens camera any more.

For the $150 price range I would look at the Canon A550.
If you keep it dry, it should work OK for skiing.

The camera has a special mode setting for snow, be sure to use it.

Cameras will work OK in snow conditions, but skiers say to keep the camera close to your body to keep the batteries warm.
Cold batteries are a bigger problem than the camera itself.

Collapse -
camera for skiing
by nnylip / November 5, 2007 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: best camera for skiing

I use a Casio EX-Z120 (out of production, but available on Ebay). It does quite well, taking either stills or decent movies. The key is the Eveready AA Lithium Batteries; regular NiMH or akalines lose a significant amount of power under 25 degrees. I keep it on the inside pocket of my parka.
An important consideration for me is the AA battery factor. If they need replacing, AA's are easy to get hold of.
The Olympus "SW" models (720, 770, 790) seem quite interesting (don't know pricing), however, they all use proprietary Li batteries.
Lou

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?